Friday, December 24, 2010

A season for giving

The teller in the bank was surprised when he saw a tiny hand proffering a few soiled notes in denominations of one, five and ten.He looked at the figure.A young boy of ten years in much worn and tattered shirt held together by safety pin was looking at the teller with some anxiety. “Sir, can you please give me 20 five rupee coins in lieu of that”’the small voice queaked .

“Why do you need the five rupee coins.They are in short supply you know”said the teller curious to know the purpose.

“Tomorrow is Christmas.I want to give to the poor who assemble before the church” he said.

“You don’t yourself look well provided.A new shirt would do good for you” said the teller and continued”how did you get this money, by the way?”

“Sir, I had actually saved the money only for getting a new shirt.But there are many needy even without a shirt.My teacher told me yesterday that Christmas is for giving and sharing” he answered.

The teller was overcome with emotion at the lofty young mind before him.He wiped his eyes and said “I will add 20 more coins to your 20 as my share.Please distribute to the needy tomorrow at the church.One more thing, please meet me after lunch here at the bank.I have a small Christmas gift for you.I am impressed with you.What is your name?”

“Thank you, sir..Santosh is my name.I will come to you after lunch” he replied as he collected 40 five rupee coins

In the afternoon he was surprised to see the teller telling him “Though young you taught me the true message of Christmas.Thank you very much” and handed him a packet containing a new shirt and shorts.

May the miracle of Christmas fill your heart with warmth and love. Christmas is the time of giving and sharing. It is the time of loving and forgiving.Merry Christmas to Everyone!

27 comments:

  1. wonderful story and a good message on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow :) It is all in the belief and the spirit of christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The randomness of thoughts has a pattern. :). A apt message to convey the Christmas feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas - indeed a season for sharing and giving.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas
    to all who celebrate it !!!

    Happy week-end to all others :-)

    Very nice written KP

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Tomorrow is Christmas.I want to give to the poor who assemble before the church” I FELT LOVELY FEATHER TOUCHING MY HEART.

    Sir, have you ever come across Dad & Ronie's chat which goes like this:-

    "I won’t go to School from tomorrow.

    Why ?


    My school bus gets stuck up daily in traffic jam and I reach school very late."

    It's in my blog. Jai Shri Krishna

    ReplyDelete
  7. that goes so well with the spirit of the Birth of Jesus...
    may i add, 'thanks-giving' and 'for-giving' with giving?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A story with Christmas spirit. Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sir, thanks for following and your comments.

    My e.mail address is :-

    MAIL2AGK@GMAIL.COM

    Jai Shri Krishna

    ReplyDelete
  10. AMEN to that .. wonderful story if only all those who have a plenty are so thoughtful...

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you a Merry Xmas..I wish u a merry Xmas...I wish you a Merry Xmas...

    and a Happy New year...

    Lol Sorry Dost..couldnt wish u on Xmas..atleast, Better late than never....

    Hope the coming year come with lots of happiness and health and love into your life...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Namaste and Happy New Year.
    Lovely story and sentiment

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your story reminded me of the saying that Its always blessed to give. There is no greater feeling of joy while giving especially to the poor and needy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, KP!! God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. HAPPY NEW YEAR AND HAPPY PONGAL!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sir,thnx for visiting my blog...hope u n ur family have a wonderful new year..........tc.........

    ReplyDelete
  17. BEAUTIFUL POST FOR A BEAUTIFUL OCCASION.COMING FROM A STUPENDOUS PERSON.........Wishing u lots of best wishes n luck for ur coming posts...........

    ReplyDelete
  18. May the new year fill your heart with warmth and love. let every day be the time of giving and sharing, the time of loving and forgiving.
    prayers
    joe

    ReplyDelete