Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The journey

After a hard day's work, i was returning home by the fast local. it would be 8pm by the time I reach home I decided to have my dinner from the roadside 'dhaba'.They make tasty food at affordable rates though many warned that they recycle the used oil till it gets exhausted. My parents were looking for suitable match for me and the photos of a few they sent did not enthuse me. Though not aiming at a drop down stunner, I was not prepared to settle for a plain looking Jane.

The train was crowded but I could manage a seat. Still the humidity, the hot breaths of passengers close to me, the body odour due to perspiration that assailed my nostrils made it very uncomfortable. It was while trying to take my handkerchief to cover my nose, I turned to my right and what I saw made my heart skip a beat. Such beauty, such perfection in creation is no sight for levity. I forgot the hand kerchief but adjusted my sitting posture to get an eyeful for the rest of the journey.

There was a faint smile at the corner of her mouth, the eyes twinkled, a stray strand of hair curled on her forehead that was glowing. She had a sleeveless and a thin yellow saree was draped carelessly over her chest and shoulder. I could see she was looking at me from the corner of her eyes without any attempt to hide the fact. This emboldened me to gaze at her uninterrupted except for short breaks to avoid other passengers frown upon my crude ogling. I had four more stations to go and wished that the train travelled slower and I wanted to feel her skin with a touch.

When the train stopped at the next station the passenger by my side stood up abruptly closing the glossy foreign fashion magazine that had her on the centre fold. My dreamy interlude came to a sudden end and the nauseating smell started assaulting my nose with a vengeance.

16 comments:

  1. All that glitters is not gold:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good One ! Excellent Narration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Partha Sir, you pulled a fast one on us !!
    These sleazy and glitzy cine magazines have a knack for glamorizing even some of the plain Janes.Perhaps it made our hero happy to live in the world of make-believe, even though it was short-lived.
    The twist in the end came as a complete surprise !
    Vasanta.R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He he he he loved the ending! Short and crisp and a very captivating flow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) ahhhhhhhhh every time I see a beautiful poster, I think of possible photo editing that would have gone into those snaps :D and trust me :) not every model is as gorgeous as they are portrayed :D

    Beautifully written was I waiting to see what would happen in the end and bam you pushed us off the clif!!!
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very very well written and absorbs the readers only to catch them off guard in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL...I was wondering was it Jane:P

    Superbbbb

    ReplyDelete
  8. lolzzz short one and interesting tooo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Entertaining and Amusing. Once again ROTFL !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you pull that off on us :) Superb narration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked the presentation of this piece…
    Not bothered much by the story as such…. But your choice of words and articulation gives a neat n appealing narration…

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice one. Now we know why magazines have these full page glossy page pictures of attractive women! A passage into fantasy world even if it is for a short while.

    ReplyDelete