Thursday, November 14, 2019

The epiphany.


I stopped the car when I saw the flower shop. I was on my way to meet my sweet heart whom I have been dating for nearly a year. She was turning 27 this day. I ordered a bunch of 27 large red roses to be made into a fine bouquet. 
As I was waiting, I saw a young boy around ten years bargaining with the shop assistant. I heard him telling “I have only 10 rupees. Can you make a small bouquet of roses for that amount? “
The assistant told him, “Sorry, the minimum we make is for Rs.50/. I can manage a small one for Rs.25. What you have is not adequate”
The boy pleaded “Today is my mom’s birthday. I assure I can pay the balance in two months. Won’t you please help me?”
The assistant said a bit harshly “No credit. We are busy in the morning with customers. Please go away without disturbing.” With tears trickling, the boy turned to move away.
I called the boy,” Hey, come here I will get for you a bouquet for your mom. I am glad you are a loving son and remember the occasion to surprise her. She should be happy to see the bouquet. Please wait.”
Meanwhile the assistant gave me my bunch of 27 roses beautifully arranged and a small bouquet of roses for the boy that I had ordered.
I asked the boy to get into the car telling him that I would drop him if his home was not far away. The boy got down after a short distance before a small house. He said “Thank you, Sir. My mother is actually no more. She passed away last year. I used to get her from the adjacent gardens a few red roses on her birthday. She loved roses very much and would feel very happy. This year I thought I will get her a bouquet. Thanks to you, I can place it before her photo.”
My eyes became moist as my thoughts went to my mother in a senior home. She was past 70 with dimmed vision and reduced hearing. She used a walker to move about. We are a family of six sons and three daughters. Yet none of us found it convenient to keep her at our homes after my father passed away. The daughters- in-law were all working and no one wanted an old lady with them. Till then my parents lived separately. My mother is a fine lady, soft spoken and talked very little. My dad was not a rich man. He left behind his house which we sold and out of the proceeds paid the deposit to the senior home and the monthly subscription. She did not depend on us financially.
This arrangement suited us all fine though my mom’s willingness was never ascertained. We went to meet her initially once a month with wives. Gradually the wives stopped accompanying my brothers. The daughters were all in outstations I am the youngest and not yet married. The visits by everyone became gradually few and far between. Ever since I started dating, I could not also find time. It is almost six months since I met her.
The boy’s touching remembrance of his mom on her birthday opened my eyes. I rushed back to the flower shop and got a large bouquet of roses and other flowers. Along with my fiancee I bought some dresses and fruits for my mom and went to meet her. She was greatly surprised and was immensely happy when I introduced my fiancee.
 She had her face brought very close to her to see her and said” She is very charming and cute. You are mighty lucky. May you tie the knot soon and live happily.”
On our way back, my fiancee remarked “God willing, we shall keep her with us once we get married. We can employ a helper to attend to her needs.”

20 comments:

  1. A touching story that conveys different emotions and loving care beautifully. Well written , dear Periappa

    Take care
    Chitra Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sweet story. If only everyone realised their duties

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very practical. Love the way the story ended. We might face the same situation one day, we should remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good story of realization. Magnanimous to hv been helpful and also realise what was he was losing great narration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good thoughts from a good heart 🕉️

    ReplyDelete
  6. So descriptive, and nice narration. Loved the way it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liked the ending very much. While it is indeed impractical for many families to care for a dependent elder, there are many in this generation who can look beyond the problem to find some solution to enrich the lives of both generations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The story is somewhat real. It is not practical for various reasons for everybody to take care of old elders.There is nothing wrong in their staying in senior or assisted living homes with children visiting them once a while.
    The story is touching and written well

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very adorable and a strong message at the end that all daughters in law do not belong to the wretched category.
    The order of the day with so many nuclear families not wanting to take care of the so called "extra baggage"!
    The presence of the elders in the family do make a profound impact on the children with their upbringing, caring for their grandparents which becomes a much needed solace for the senior citizens.
    The narrative is fabulous bringing the characters alive in front of the reader'' eyes!
    Loved the title as there is definitely the need for realization for this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely story! But missed your usual twist in the end, though I'm glad it actually ended the way it did! I kept my antenna up for the twist but I guess 'no twist' was the actual twist in the tale!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the gracious and compassionate fiancee fulfils her promise after her marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a touching story. Just wish he did not have to have the boy remind him of what should have been his love. Not responsibility or duty but sheer love for his mother. But like they say better late than never. Again I wish he had just taken her back with him. I understand there may be circumstances that make it difficult but which parent leaves their child elsewhere because going gets tough. I am in awe for the child. Makes me miss my mom. Nice story. As usual beautifully written. Keep them comings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too simple a story to come from your keypad! Hmmm....☺️🙃

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  14. The story is good and very touching too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful story with a good message.
    Thanks Sir.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A real-life issue portrayed here.

    When elderly persons have to be moved to an old-age home, the immediate stereotypical reaction of many is "O, don't the children have any time to look after their parents?"

    Such comments are often made very flippantly without understanding the real-life situation in such homes. From what I know personally, children are forced to move elders to such facilities because they actually don't have the resources to take care of the elders. It turns out that the elders are better looked after by caregivers than neglected in own homes.

    Of course, the least children can do is to call on the elders, be with them for some time, however frequently they are able to do that.

    Nice to see a positive ending to your story. There is so much goodness all around, and we must recognise and acknowledge them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very descriptive, and lovely narration. Loved the way it ended.

    ReplyDelete