Tuesday, January 24, 2023

The old man’s worry (464 words)

“Loggu, loggu,” the old man continued coughing for a few minutes before he said with a worried look, “Let me continue to stay here.  Please do not leave me anywhere else.”

“No appa(daddy). You stay there for some days. It is a good place. I will surely bring you back home soon.”

“If it is only for a few days, why do you have to send me? I am afraid you would leave me there permanently,” lamented the old man.

“Please try to understand. You are coughing all the time and it is not improving. It is examination time for children. They are disturbed much in their studies,” said his son Raju.

“I will not cough anymore,” loggu, loggu”, he coughs again and resumes,” If I get cough, I will cover my mouth with the towel. Do not send me away,” he persisted.

“Appa, you refuse to understand and are becoming a problem. It is not only the children’s examination, Vanaja is not really well since a week and needs rest. Her mother is coming to help her with the chores. There is no space. When both of you get better, I will bring you back, may be in a week’s time,” explained Raju.

“What if I stay on the front porch and come inside only for a bath and taking food? Is it okay?”

“Appa, do not keep grumbling in worry. You will be taken care of very well. Do not imagine wrongly that you are being thrown out into the middle of a forest. Please be cooperative,” replied Raju.

“The food in that place would be disgusting. I like only Vanaja’s preparations,” griped the old man.

Ignoring the old man’s pleas, Raju said with a finality in his tone, “Be ready by 7am tomorrow. Do not create hassles. Be assured that I will not let you down.”

The whole night the old man could not sleep and kept turning in bed in worry. The next morning Raju and Vanaja took him in the car.

The old man in a confused tone asked,” Raju, this massive and posh building does not look like a senior home. Why have we come here?”

“Who told you that you are going to be sent to a senior home? This is a big hospital. Our family doctor advised that it is best for you to be treated at a hospital as you have a chronic infection with chest congestion. They may observe you and after several tests treat you properly. I have booked a single room for you. I would visit you twice daily and bring food from home. Be cheerful without any worry.” Raju clarified.

“Sorry da, you are a gem. I was completely wrong in my fears,” the old man confessed with an embarrassed smile.

 

20 comments:

  1. A simple short story to explain that one’s anxiety and fears are greater problems to worry about than the reality in life. 😊

    ….. chitra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. Such a heart warming story. Thanks KP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are scared of many things in our life and many of them never happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story with a happy ending. Brought cheer. Jana

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good story highlighting the section of society which actually takes care of parents..not all kids abandon their parents

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes our imagined fears are the reason for many misunderstandings in relationships. Nice story .

    ReplyDelete
  7. The unanticipated turn made me happy. Until then I was thinking how younger generations treat their parents in their old age. There is still hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The unanticipated turn made me feel happy. The story gives a message that Younger generations are still humane. P k Ramachandran

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the heart warming ending. I was so worried for the old man till then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All senior citizens who live with their children feel that they will be sent to homes, esp, when they are sick., . Thank god this son is compassionate., felt happy in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I liked how the story ended. The son could have clarified he was putting his father in the hospital and under the doctor’s care for few days.. or maybe the father was so deeply into his fears that he may have missed it when the son explained. I know it is a story but I wish the son had focused on getting his father better than talk about space and children’s exams.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it's a hospital, it's ok. Not of it's an old age home - strange ways human minds work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Though the ending will be liked by everyone in general, older people will have to go by the new norm of settling in Senior citizen facility.This is reality.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally what a relief for everybody! The old man gets the right place to be cared for, the family gets all the issues happily resolved and the readers get the happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good positive finish. Regards - Mahesh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I started the story I felt bad for son.. yes for son because his father was being unreasonable, I always feel that even if parents are taken to senior homes, it’s not bad, children can’t always do everything themselves and parents must adjust.
    But nice surprise in the end👍
    Renu

    ReplyDelete
  17. The reasons and the outcome seem contradictory

    ReplyDelete