Friday, January 19, 2024

A clever ploy

 

A very old  story written in jest with no offence to those who have faith in and swear by astrology

Kaushik’s father, a senior lawyer by profession, spent on his post-retirement days a major part of his time on astrology. Most of the folks in his locality and nearby places used to approach him to make horoscopes for their kids, with horoscopes of their grownup offspring for checking compatibility with those of prospective spouses, for choosing an auspicious date for starting a new venture, building a house or for remedial measures for defects in horoscopes. Kaushik was the youngest among two sons and a daughter.

This story is not about Kaushik’s family but how his dad’s deep faith in astrology and his abiding trust in the predictive powers of horoscopes affected him. Both the elder brother and sister were married and happily settled. Kaushik was 30, well qualified and well employed earning a handsome salary. He was in good health, a tall and handsome man, which caused female colleagues often to linger around him to have small chats with him. Many young women had shown romantic inclinations that he would have gladly reciprocated but for the injunction against marriage put by his dad on planetary considerations. He would not reveal what exactly the planets foretold except the vague reply that they were hostile to his wellbeing if he got married before 33. His prodding to be more specific yielded no response. His timid mother with a worried face would constantly be visiting temples and offering prayers for his wellbeing. 

Kaushik, busy moving up in the career with an eye for a position in the US, was also not keen on marriage till he was recently drawn to a colleague, Kavya. They met almost daily and very often went out to restaurants and movies. With no progress in their romance except these daily meetings, she obliquely pointed one day to his single status and asked him with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes whether he was waiting for the right woman to come across to propose.

“No, I have found her already and spend quite some time with her daily in the office and restaurants,” he said with a wink

“Then what holds you in proposing to her? Maybe she is waiting for you to take the first step” she said with a smile. 

It was then Kaushik confided to her his dad’s objection on astrological grounds to his getting married before he crossed 33 and hence his hesitancy to commit to the lady whom he loved.

“My God, do you believe and decide on important matters of your life from the 16 squares in a horoscope? I thought you were modern and just cannot believe you are a superstitious old hat,” she said in disappointment with a scowl on her face.

“Not like that, dear I just do not wish to displease my dad or make fun of his beliefs and more importantly I had not met my lady till recently,” he said with a twinkle.

“Now that you have found your ladylove, you should have no difficulty in taking things forward”

“True, but I must also confide in you that my brother one day in a moment of weakness confided that there were strong indications in my Kundli that my life would come to an abrupt end before I was 33 and that was the reason dad was not inclined to jeopardize some young woman’s life. I also saw the logic in it.”

“What nonsense? Do you believe in all this balderdash?”

“Okay, let me ask you a question. Would you marry someone who is predicted though unscientifically and irrationally to die in three years? Would you not fear every moment? You are no Savitri of mythology to bring back the dead alive,” he countered her

“You are mistaken. I would willingly and enthusiastically jump at the offer. I have no faith in all these hokum. Even if something happens, I would not attribute it to the horoscope.”

“Wow, would you marry me then?”

“Where did I say I would marry you? Ask me directly and propose formally” she said with a beaming smile

As Kaushik made a formal gesture by bending his knee and extending his arm, both broke into laughter and hugged each other to the amusement of many in the restaurant.

 “Tell me seriously how to go about it. Frankly, I cannot wait for three years. But no matter my strong disbelief in the system. there is a lurking fear what if the prediction came true?” Kaushik said

“Okay, I have a spark. What if I ask my dad to take my horoscope to your dad for reading my future, and specifically the longevity of my would-be spouse? I am free with my dad and have already told him obliquely that our love is in the initial stages. Luckily, he does not set much store by astrology. He would certainly not talk about you to your dad or where I work.”

A week later Kavya showed her thumbs up when she entered my cabin and said “As per your dad’s reading of my horoscope that he has written in his hand that I would be happily married for long with four children.  Shed your fear. If you marry me, you should live to a minimum of 42 to get four kids even at the earliest and in quick succession!”

“What shall we do now?” he asked wondering at her ability to checkmate his dad.

“Let us fix a convenient day, get our marriage registered and conducted in a temple in a simple style and present a fait accompli. We will take a transfer to our head office. You can break the news quite later. What do you say?”

Forgetting it was an office, he hugged her tightly and she smothered him with smooches.

According to the latest report, it  is reliably learnt that Kaushik and Kavya have been working in Minneapolis, US for the last five years and have two kids aged five and three.


16 comments:


  1. Very interesting. Infact till the last line I was wondering how the twist to the story would be. As a matter of fact, astrology is also a science. Divinity and faith is beyond science. A matter of perspective and I believe that Astrology can go wrong but having Faith and accepting what happens can take you a long eway - RANJANI MURALI

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting perspective. Not many would be willing to take a risk when it comes to faith. I think the twist in this story is not having the twist at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sahadev, the youngest of the Pandavas, supposedly the best astrologer. Even Duryodanan asked him for auspicious time to go to war. But Sahadev was unable to find he has 5 brothers and Dharmar is not the eldest son of Kunthi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don’t know much about astrology So, I I don’t believe in it Maybe , that is why I like the way how story ends with a positive note. . Trust in God and keep going !

    …. Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  5. If we have faith in God , he allows us to make our choice if we are willing to accept the consequences. Where others would be scared, kavya bravely took the decision to marry Kaushik and lead a happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another of your feel good stories, so well narrated. To believe or not in astrology is an individual perception. It all matters on our belief and environment. To go along with Kavya's plan was initially unsettling , the last line was however comforting to read. Evidently her strong horoscope nullified the flaw in Kaushik’s. All is well that ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good decision! Kaushik was bold enough to agree to the marriage with Kavya...thank god they have two children instead of four:) ...Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  8. My unemployed astrologer predicted that many would like this story. How prescient. (JJ)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautifully written mama - your way of narrating a story is amazing - brings out the characters to life so beautifully 🙏🏼😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. A delightful story. Truely admire the wonderfully clever strategy successfully worked by the smart lady, without hurting anyone's inherent beliefs in the process! Wish the pair to live happily ever after, even though they are fictional!

    ReplyDelete
  11. True love, have finally prevailed over . Now we can wait for two more addition to their wonderful family and judge astrology to its predictions !. Beautifully narrated story .

    ReplyDelete
  12. In your heartwarming story, a lingering doubt occupied my thoughts . Did Kavya genuinely share her horoscope, or was the entire narrative fabricated? I wouldn't be surprised if you present a similar story with a unique twist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting ending. Now familiar with your style of writing, I was of course expecting a twist.. you stumped me with the twist of not having a twist, like Sowmya has said! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Each to her/his own belief!🙏

    ReplyDelete