Murari looked clean after his shave and shower. It was five in the evening, but the light was already fading. By dawn, he would be dead.
He was to be
hanged early the next morning.
The jailer
stopped outside his cell and looked at him through the bars.
“Dinner tonight
will be your last one. If there’s anything you’d specifically like to eat, tell
me. I’ll see if I can have it made.”
“No,” Murari
said quietly. “I have no such wish. I’d rather skip dinner.”
“Have
something. Don’t go to the gallows on an empty stomach.” The jailer paused. “Do
you have any last wish? If it’s reasonable, I may be able to arrange it.”
Murari looked
at him for a moment.
“Yes. I have
one wish. If you can grant it, I would be beholden to you.”
“Tell me. I’ll
try.”
“I want to meet
the judge who condemned me. Just for two minutes.”
The jailer
stared at him. “Oh, that may be difficult. He may not agree to meet you. I’m
almost certain he won’t. It has never happened. If you have a message for him, though, I can pass it
on.”
“Please tell
him this,” Murari said. “I will leave this world peacefully if I can meet him
for even one minute. I’ll remain behind the iron bars. I can be shackled, if he
wishes. Let him have no fear. I only want to tell him one small thing.”
The jailer
studied his face. “I’ll try,” he said at last. “Though I’m not sanguine about
the outcome.”
To Murari’s
surprise, the judge arrived at eight that evening.
Murari was
brought to the visitors’ enclosure. He stood behind the wire-mesh partition,
his hands shackled before him.
“Can I have a
minute or two alone with the judge?” he asked.
The jailer
hesitated for a fraction of a second before moving away with the constables far
enough to give them privacy.
“What is it you
wanted to tell me?” asked the judge.
Murari looked
at him steadily. “Do you remember my case, Sir?”
“Yes. I
reviewed it before coming here. You can speak.”
“Just this,
Sir. I will be dead by dawn tomorrow, so I have no reason to lie to you. I am
not guilty. I did not commit any criminal act. I swear to God that what I am
telling you is the truth.”
The judge’s
expression hardened.
“The case
established that you killed a helpless woman after she rejected your advances.
You were found at the scene with the murder weapon. The police had an ironclad
case against you.”
“You knew who
killed her,” Murari said.
The judge
frowned. Who killed her?”
“You did. “You
killed and no one else.”
A silence fell before the judge’s face hardened,
but Murari continued.
“You had
abducted that woman in your car and taken her to a secluded place. You were
trying to molest her. I happened to see you through the window. She saw me and
screamed for help.”
Murari
swallowed.
“I was fully drunk
that night. Barely able to stand. I tried to help her by pulling you away, but
I was no match for you. In the melee, she kicked you on your face hard. In
extreme rage, you shot her. Then you struck me on the head and put the gun in
my hand.”
The judge said
nothing.
“You called the
police yourself, from a booth nearby. You made sure they found me beside her
body, with the weapon in my hand. By the time they arrived, you were long
gone.”
Murari gave a
bitter smile.
“My
government-appointed lawyer didn’t believe me either. And then, by the cruellest
twist of fate, my case came before you.”
The judge
finally spoke. “Bad luck for you.”
He stepped
closer to the partition. “But good luck for me. No one knew the truth.”
He paused, then
smiled coldly. “Tell me, do you have a family?”
Murari said
nothing.
“If you do,”
the judge continued, “tell me who they are. I’ll see that they are taken care
of.”
His smile
widened. “Goodbye, Murari,” he said, waving his hand
Murari’s eyes
remained fixed on him. “My last wish,” he said softly, “was not simply to meet
you.”
The judge
stopped.
“I wanted this
conversation recorded.”
For the first
time, the judge’s face went pale.
Murari leaned
towards the partition.
“You will have
your retribution.”
Then, before
the judge could step back, Murari spat through the mesh and walked away quickly.
For the first
time in years, he smiled. He no longer feared the dawn.

A short story with a movie like narration. I hope the judge didn’t use his influence to delete the recording , but it was live in social media.
ReplyDeleteChitra
Rapist judge reaps justice
ReplyDeleteTruth arrived too late for justice, but not for the man who needed it. (JJ)
ReplyDelete