Tuesday, September 8, 2026

The Lesson She Learnt (863 words)


“Sarasa, the fan in the room is not running well. It is fifteen years old and hardly works anymore. It is very hot and sultry at night. I am unable to sleep,” said Meenakshi to her daughter-in-law.

“Why, it is running all right?” replied Sarasa with a touch of irritation in her voice.

“Yes, it runs, but very slowly, and no air is coming,” said the old lady

“Ok, let me see, but not this month, as we have many commitments like school fees, insurance, etc. Maybe I will get a new one next month or the one thereafter.”

“This is midsummer. The weather is very oppressive. That is why I mentioned it,” she said hesitantly.

“What can I do for that? All of us are suffering. It is impossible to stand in the kitchen even for five minutes. Keep the windows open,” Sarasa replied as she hastily went out.

She saw her 15-year-old daughter Lavanya standing outside the door with a glass of chilled Coke in her hand. She asked, “When did you come from school? How long have you been standing here? You are perspiring a lot”

“I just now came from school. Heard you talking to grandma, so came here,” Lavanya replied

“That is alright. Go to your room, switch on the AC and rest a while. I will get something for you to eat,” Sarasa said.

“Amma, I don’t want anything. But I want your permission to go on an excursion arranged in the school for three days. Mummy, please do not say no,” Lavanya pleaded.

“Which place? How many days? How much are you required to pay? “Sarasa asked

“Three days at Kodaikanal. Just Rs 3000. Tomorrow is the last day for payment. All my classmates are going, and our teachers are accompanying us. It is safe, Amma,” Lavanya said.

“It is okay. I will just mention it to your dad. You can pay the money tomorrow. You are lucky as you will escape this hot place at least for a few days. The woollen sweater you have is old. It will be cold there. We can buy a new one this evening itself ,” Sarasa said.

She expected the girl to jump in joy and hug her. Instead, Lavanya looked at her with disappointment and left without a word for her room. She switched off the AC, switched on the fan and adjusted the regulator to the minimum speed.

Perplexed at the strange behaviour of her daughter, Sarasa entered the room with a plate of sandwiches. She saw Lavanya on the bed with her face buried in the pillow. “Why have you switched off the AC? The fan is also moving at a snail’s pace. What is wrong with you? Aren’t you happy that I permitted you to go on an excursion? You behave strangely,” said Sarasa

“Amma, leave me alone. You don’t have to switch on the AC or increase the speed of the fan. I will keep the windows open and rest,” the girl said

Sarasa did not fail to notice the taunt in her voice and was certain the girl must have overheard her talking to her mother-in-law. “I know what you are trying to say. You are not behaving as young girls should do. I hate people eavesdropping on the conversations of others,” admonished Sarasa

“I did not eavesdrop. You were talking so loudly I could hear you even from the living room. Whatever it is, I hate you. I am not going for any excursion. I don’t need your money when you have so many commitments to meet,” said Lavanya with tears trickling down her cheeks.

When Sarasa looked at her daughter in disbelief, the girl continued, saying, “You cannot bear your daughter to be uncomfortable even for a few minutes and want me to have the AC and the fan at full speed. But you are so insensitive to the great discomfort Grandma is experiencing both day and night. You did not think for a minute before you offered to pay me the money I asked for the excursion and also get a new sweater. But when it came to Grandma, you were weighed down by the commitments. I never knew you could be this hard-hearted to an old person. I am ashamed of you.”

Sarasa felt overwhelmed with shame and guilt at her behaviour towards her mother-in-law. She rang the electrical store and asked them to send a new, superior-quality fan immediately, along with a mechanic to fix it.

She went to her mother-in-law and touched her feet, pleading for a pardon. The old lady was perplexed, unable to understand what brought about the change. She, however, ran her hand over her head and said, “Don’t be silly. You did not utter anything hurtful. You only pleaded for more time to change the fan. I am accustomed to living even without a fan, as I have spent many years in the village without electricity. Wipe your tears and go happily”

Sarasa came out of the room teary-eyed but chastened by the experience. She decided to fix an AC too.

The way we treat the vulnerable reveals the true measure of our compassion.

 

17 comments:

  1. Really , very difficult to make financial decisions in this current economic conditions. If they are affluent , they shouldn’t hold back to help any family member.

    Good story

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting story. So it is the daughter to teach her a lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone said that inlaws are outlaws; exceptions are far and few between. The realisation of harshness and repentance thereof is welcome and augurs well for improving relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to read. Happy to read how the grand daughter brought change in her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good read but not in the league of Mr. KP.

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felt happy when I read that the mother in law is comfortable because of her grand daughter. Hop she remembers this when she becomes the daughter in law of somebody. The narrative makes all your stories the best reads! Good story,....Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  7. A good story. Glad Sarasa realised her folly thanks to Lavanya. Apathy to senior citizens is deplorable, keeping wondering don't they realise they will be there one day and will be paid in the same coin. Nowadays empathy is on a downslide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me, it did not seem to be an ordinary story! It was indeed a vivid description of a day's events in a typical household. Sometimes, I wonder as to whether, like the legendary Sanjaya, the author also possesses the divine power of vision even without being physically present at the place of occurrence!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good story. Ramakrishnan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nice story capturing a typical daughter-in-law/mother-in-law relationship that's gone down generations! And almost always, it's the grandchildren who teach us basic values!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liked the character of the daughter. Kids of today are more observant and grounded than we give them credit for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The day's happening at Sarasa's house is common to many aged citizens.
    No wonder the Child taught a lesson and more to set the atmosphere right. The description of a typical family drama is more enjoyable and ends with a moral to the story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All's well that ends well.
    Glad she realized. The heat is on. Climate change is reality.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reminds me of a quote that captures Sarasa's behavior -- "we don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are." (JJ)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mother wanted daughter to happy, but daughter wanted her grand mother live in minimum bare needed necessity. Happy thYes — that makes the comment more nuanced because you’re **not blaming the mother for wanting her daughter’s happiness**; you’re appreciating the daughter’s empathy and sacrifice.

    Beautifully written. ❤️ A mother wanting her daughter to be happy and comfortable is certainly not wrong. What touched me was how the daughter was willing to give up her own excursion after seeing Grandma’s discomfort. That small sacrifice showed such a beautiful sense of empathy and care. So happy that Grandma was finally taken care of. ❤️
    at grandma was taken care

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice message. How we treat the vulnerable does indeed reflect
    On our maturity.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The last line is very profound

    ReplyDelete