Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Romance at Darjeeling


“My God, what a clumsy person you are? You have spilled the entire cup of tea on me,” shouted Sooraj at the trembling young woman before him.
The caretaker of the guest house came rushing with profuse apologies and started cleaning the table. “Sorry for the unfortunate incident on your first visit. Sahib. The cook is expected shortly and the two boys who do the errands have gone to market. I requested my daughter to make tea for you. Otherwise she doesn’t do these jobs. She lost her mother in young age. Please change the dress before she brings fresh tea.”
Turning to her, he told her, “Rupna, fetch him fresh tea along with biscuits quickly and then be off to your studies.”
Regretting his impatience with the young woman who had made tea specially for him amid her busy schedule, he softened and said, “I am sorry to hear about her mother. It is perfectly fine as such things happen to all. I was not aware she is your daughter. Even otherwise I should have been calm. Sorry for my outburst. What is she studying?”
“Post-Graduation in economics. I am meeting you for the first time here. Is it your first visit?”
“No, I have come several times but this is the first time I have opted for a guest house. I do not like the mechanical and artificial ways of a hotel and their food. I work for an export company at Mumbai and visit here to procure the famous Darjeeling tea’ “Sooraj explained.
“Call me Ramchander.You will have no regrets for having chosen this place. Rupna’s examinations would be over in two days. She can guide you thereafter about the town and its fabulous surroundings though you might have known them already,” said
Meanwhile Rupna came with tea and biscuits in attractive tray and laid it gingerly on the centre table. Sooraj did not fail to notice that she had changed into a bright coloured Salwar suit and her face done up with a quick make up.
Sooraj laughed and said, “You don’t have to be extra careful. I have broken many cups and vases. It happens. Sorry, I was a bit harsh on you.”
Ramchander excused himself and left the room.
Sipping the tea, he said, “I like the flavour. Rupna is a beautiful name.” Keeping the cup on the table, he added,” I learn you are studying economics that was my favourite too.”
 “I am told you have examinations for two days. I will not detain you now but may need your help in visiting places in this city. I expect to be here for a week but we will have lot of time to talk to and know each other well,” he said with a smile and added as an afterthought, “Sorry, I forgot to tell you, I am Sooraj and working for a well-known tea trading company at Mumbai. I come here frequently.”
***
As he lay on the bed after she left, Rupna’s beautiful face fully occupied his mind. What struck him most was her shapely figure, her kohl-black long hair, her brown eyes under pencil line eye brows, and the faint smile at the corners of her eyes. It was a case of love at first sight and the wave of her dainty fingers as she left the room set his heart thumping fast. He wished to possess her as his own early.
Wanting to meet her again, he peeped into the kitchen to find a Nepali boy cutting vegetables and turned back silently to his room. He was surprised when she came rushing immediately into his room, and asked, “Did you want something? I saw your shadow as you went towards kitchen.”
“Please do not get distracted from your studies. I just wanted to tell the cook that I would have lunch here as I have no work to go out today,” he told her though he was inwardly happy she was watching his movements.
“You can always call me on number 12 in the intercom whenever you wish. Please see the card in the side table.
Sooraj liked the quiet ambiance of the guest house in the middle of a well laid out beautiful garden on the central area of Darjeeling. There were only a couple of guests in the first floor above his spacious room. Rupna’s room was adjacent to his on the other side of a passage and he loved being near her. He had a feeling that she was also attracted to him and decided to befriend her and get intimate.
***
As he was getting ready to go out for a stroll around 5pm, he was greatly surprised to see Rupna entering. “I hope the lunch was good. Tell me if you want anything special to eat, I will tell the cook to prepare. Are going out.”
“I wished to buy some toiletries from nearby shop and may be a small stroll.”
“I will show you a departmental store nearby and I will also take you to a cute little park very near. It is not crowded,” she gave the information gratuitously.
Soon they were seated in a secluded corner of the park where a few children were playing on slides and swings.” Did not wish to disturb you as you were busy with study. Glad you could make it. I look forward to spending more time with you daily after the exams.” Sooraj said.
“Me too,” she replied but bit her lips for her inadvertent display of her eagerness.
He laughed and said,” Thanks, we now know each other better. But I have a doubt. Does your dad offer to send you along with others as he did to me this morning?”
She stood up with her face getting red in anger and asked, “What do you think of me, a cheap slut, is it? My dad felt bad after I poured the tea on you in the morning. You also looked decent. That was why he offered to send me with you to show places. Be careful before you make any insinuation,” she said furiously and started walking towards the gate.
Sooraj ran behind her mollifying her anger profusely apologizing and returned to the bench holding her hand. They both sat close to each other talking sweet nothings. What started with a spilt tea in the morning and a tiff in the evening soon turned out to be a romance straight out of Mills & Boons stories. It was clear that Rupna also fell for the handsome, tall and dusky personality of Sooraj They daily spent together most of the time outside at some place or other.
One day when they were alone in his room with her father away somewhere, he asked her casually, “Does your father know our romantic interest in each other and approve of your spending whole day with me?”
“I think he knows. I mentioned about our love. Being a motherless daughter, he has always been extremely affectionate and would readily agree to my slightest wish. He also knows I am a sensible woman and know my boundaries,” and added, “He just wished to know whether you have a flat in Mumbai to live and your income would be adequate to run a small family. I would of course chip in from whatever job I get,” she expressed her anxiety.
“Do not worry. I have a well-paid job and the employers have provided the accommodation. Further we too are qualified,” he assured her.
“Are you sure your parents would approve of our marriage as I am a Bengali?”
“I am their only son and normally they should go by what I desire. But my dad is status conscious and my mother has reservations about marrying outside community. I am pressurizing them to relent and I hope before long,” he said. He dragged her close, hugged her long in tight embrace and smothered her with kisses. She in turn responded with equal fervor. Abruptly she withdrew with a sense of guilt and said, “No more please till we get married.”
“Ok agreed. Listen, Rupna, I wish to go to Kalimpong for two days with you to see the monasteries, flowers and enjoy para gliding. We will spend one night there and return next day,” he suggested.
“I do not think my dad will permit me to go with you. In fact, he was asking me to keep a distance from you,” she said with a sigh.
In the evening, she came to his room and said, “I do not know why, but my dad strictly warned me a while ago not to meet you anymore until we are married. He said if he wants to take you out, let him first marry you officially and then do what pleases him.”
With a touch of disappointment, he said, “I understand his concern. Give me one night, let me think and come back to you with a solution.”
The next day Sooraj came to dining hall and finding Ramchander alone there told him, “My intention to marry Rupna is certain and since you have some reservations, if you agree, I will arrange for a registered marriage here tomorrow with official witnesses of my vendors. You can also bring your friends as witnesses. I will buy new dresses for all. It is my parents’ choice to accept or not but Rupna will be my wife. Shall I go ahead?”
Ramchander looked at Rupna giving Sooraj a high five animatedly and then said, I agree,” with a broad smile.
***
As the plane carrying Mr. and Mrs. Sooraj and Ramchander decked in fine clothes was about to land at Mumbai airport, Rupna whispered to her husband, “I am afraid how your parents would react? If they refuse to accept me, would you ditch me?”
“Have total trust in me. I will never let you down even if the whole world turns against us, be assured. Wipe your face and look cheerful. We will face things as they develop, “he patted her.
Though not Corana days, the arrival lounge was empty stoking Rupna’s fears more. When they came out of arrival gate, they found it was jam packed with visitors holding garlands, bouquets for their relatives presumably. Suddenly an elderly man and his wife dressed in rich fineries approached them with garlands in hand calling, “beta, warm welcome to both of you. “The lady with a bouquet in hand and a large smile on her face exclaimed in joy,” Rupna, how bewitchingly pretty you are. I know Sooraj always chooses the best.”
Startled at the turn of events, she turned to look at Sooraj only to see him winking at her. The band outside exploded into loud music and all the friends and relatives lined up to greet the couple with bouquets. A convoy of cars big and small drove towards their bungalow where a formal Sagaee (betrothal)has been arranged.
Sooraj with Rupna alone in one of the cars, turned to her and said.” Rupna, forgive me for the small deception played. My parents whole heartedly support us. I am no employee of the company, am rather the owner. Your dad knew it before the registered marriage.”
All of a sudden, Rupna tightly hugged Sooraj unmindful of the amused look of driver.



22 comments:

  1. A nice story with a feel good factor. Rupna was lucky not to hv been deceived. Keep writing more stories in these times of negativity

    ReplyDelete
  2. A feel good story. Very much needed in these troubled times

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet romantic with the lovely Darjeeling in the scene. Felt the aroma of the tea and the charming Mrs and Mr Sooraj as the lovely ingredients:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very romantic with visual scenery of darjeeling.loved it.You are awesome and proved that ageing imagination flows and broken the myth of elderly while away time by seeing tv and gossiping. Respect your talent and the best part is sharing your talents by way' of such a wonderful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice nd lovely story maintaining a feel factor through out till the end of romantic story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why are all the characters so good and how could everyone be in acceptance? That rarely is the case in real life. I would like to read more about the greys and blacks.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Expected the guy to be a con man but you again surprised us by twisting the usual twist in your stories. Renewed faith in old age romance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one is a very sweet story, no twist in the end like you normally put in!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 100% romantic story! Enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed it though I was expecting a twist at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Romance at Darjeeling is a good romantic story. I felt that I am in a cinema hall viewing a movie. Hats off to you

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful fresh story with even corona reference.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice lovely romantic story...

    ReplyDelete
  14. “Though not Corona days .....” - laughed so much !
    A feel good story Thank you

    Take care , Periappa.
    Keep writing
    Chitra Solomon

    ReplyDelete
  15. Partha Sir ! Your style of storytelling has humor, anticipation, surprising endings, and the most unexpected tearful smile from Rupna and from your readers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A nice story with an interesting twist.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweet story with a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a nice love story with more beautiful and twisted ending..so nicely narrated..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful lovey dovey tale

    ReplyDelete