Thursday, May 14, 2020

Meena's ransom

“I need some money urgently. There is practically no balance in my account,” said Meena.”
“How much? I gave you the usual amount at the beginning of the month,” replied Kesav who was leisurely sipping the morning tea in the balcony with a newspaper on hand.
“15000 rupees. Due to this Covid virus, I have bought more than the usual quantity of groceries and various other items, “said Meena as she placed her cup on the side table.
“For all the extra things you have been buying, you have been using my card. Have you forgotten or what? “he asked in a surprised manner.
“May be, I have not kept track of all these but the fact is my account is having no balance. I need the money urgently,” she replied with some acerbity.
“What for? What is the urgent requirement?” asked Kesav.
“I do not need your money if I am asked to give account as if I am your accountant. When you spend heavily, do I ever ask you any question? “she asked angrily.
“Am I obliged to explain you how I spend my earnings? Funny you make a statement like that,” he said somewhat amused.
 “Enough, I feel I have no dignity in this house after I left my lucrative job in deference to your wishes. Keep your earnings with you. I am going presently to my mother’s place. I may return only late afternoon. You cook something for yourself,” she said as she left in a huff without heeding his plea to sit.
It was past 12 and he was dozing on the sofa after eating the hurriedly made pasta. The TV was on narrating the latest statistics on Covid19. His mobile rang loudly and it was a call from Meena.
“Meena, are you still angry? I hope you had no problem in reaching your amma’s place<” asked Kesav
“Sorry Sir, this is not your wife. I have borrowed her phone for a while. I am sorry to disturb you on an important matter,” said the voice
“Who is speaking? How did you get my wife’s phone? Where is she?” asked Kesav anxiously.
“My name does not matter. Your wife is very much here beside me. Are you Kesav?” asked the voice in a gruff tone.
“I am Kesav. What is it you want? Tell me right away where you are speaking from? How did my wife come there?Can you give the phone to her?” he asked in commanding manner.
“You would not talk to me in this tone if you hear what I wish to say,” said the voice in other end and continued, “ The matter relates to your wife. She is presently safe in my custody. There is a small matter to be settled between us before she is released. It does not brook any delay  if you keep in mind the well being of your good looking wife,”
“Tell me quickly,” urged Kesav.
“Transfer 25000 rupees to your wife’s account this moment.I find it has no money. You must thank your stars that I have not made a large demand. This should be done within 10 minutes. I will release her within five minutes after I get the message of credit in her mobile. Exactly 10 minutes I give you," and added
"One word of warning. Do not try to be smart tracing my whereabouts or thinking of police if you wish her to remain unharmed in any manner. Remember the deadline Do you understand the gravity of the situation?” said the voice as the call was cut.
He transferred the money immediately and sent a message about the remittance. He was filled with remorse for not complying with her request in the morning itself and now having to pay an unknown rascal a huge amount.
In 10 minutes there was a message from Meena,” Do not worry.I am safe and on my way home. Could you eat anything? Shall I bring something?”
Kesav was waiting anxiously at the door and was jubilant when he saw her with a mask on her two wheeler. He hugged her happily as he led her inside living room.
She snuggled closer and said “Thank you for acting quickly to make things safe for me.” There was a smug smile on her face even as she was in his tight embrace  thinking of getting a good gift for her young nephew for his histrionic ability.

21 comments:

  1. Good to read Kp.
    But I don't like these kind of people. But there are some who go to any length to get what they want.

    There are also men who do not understand and respect the real sentiments and needs of the spouse.they become real bullies
    But i wont support the wife's behaviour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ploy may work once, but there's something called crying wolf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good one. A light read. To do as Meena did is dangerous in real life. She could Hv been more patient and Jesav more accommodating

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are not in the same boat; but, we are in the same storm. Do not be hasty in judging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting read. The danger in it is just like' puli varunne(Tiger is coming....)'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Partha Sir, by putting the characters in a comedic situation, and taking most readers in your confidence, you have instantly enhanced funny side of the story and ended it with the classic punchlines ! Crisp, cool and comic!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another beauty during covid times, smooth and easy for Meena.no questions asked but I felt the plot was predictable without much of drama and suspense..a breezy one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All husbands say this, because they are earning, they are not accountable to the family, only the wife who is working at home 24 hours, 365 days is accountable for every paisa:) This is a good idea which is narrated well for us to follow:) Enjoyed reading this story, Kp:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Padma BhaktapriyaMay 14, 2020 at 2:56 PM

    I admire and appreciate ur stories the flow the incidents above all the twists vare wonderful you know I used to read so many novels from. Dumas to. Arthur Hailey Perry Mason to Agatha Christie. But I cannot pen a few lines to make a story you have a unique gift I am very proud of u I am forwarding them to my ch ildren also do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We were able to guess the ploy mid-way, so maybe because of that the story was not very convincing.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very clever ruse. It is sad that women have to resort to such tactics to get money for their personal use. It can indeed be humiliating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a drastic way to teach that fool of a hubby a lesson!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting story. The husband is very naive. He should have immediately suspected something wrong when the money was asked to be deposited in his wife's account.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don’t really see this happening , but a light read!
    Vasudha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaa..this one was funny...nice one..very different from all other stories of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for a story with a humorous twist during these stressful times. Though the story is funny this situation does arise in many Indian household where the housewife has to depend on her husband for money just because he “earns” it. It would be nice if that mentality changed. But having said that no one should gain anything by means of deception. Of course all this should not matter in a story with a comic twist. Enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meena pulled it off rather easily. I doubt if it will work again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Complete lack of transparency,faith and trust which are essential ingredients of a successful marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A clever ploy but would not always work the you want

    ReplyDelete
  20. She duped the poor husband!
    Nephew played accomplice.

    ReplyDelete