Saturday, October 15, 2022

The unexpected miracle.



Vanamali was watching with disinterest the news channel repeating the same lines under Breaking news when his phone rang.

“Vanamali here,” he said.
​​

“I am Inspector Ambrose calling from XY police station. Would you mind coming to the station for a few minutes to identify a lady whom we have picked up from a shady place along with a companion? She tells me she is related to you.” said the voice from the other end.

“I am quite busy. How did you get my number? Who is the lady you were talking about? “replied Vanamali.

“The lady who calls herself Sharmila gave me your number and name telling that you are related to her and that she is an activist working for upliftment of women generally and specially those suffering from domestic violence, alcoholic husbands, women abducted by deceit and forced into life of shame and destitute women harassed at work places. She was saying that she visited the place as a part of her duty along with an assistant who does also the duty of security. I would not detain you beyond a few minutes as I wish to release them before sunset if they are on the clear. Kindly come immediately,” said the Inspector.

He took an Uber and reached the police station in the outskirts of the city.

“Thanks for coming. Before I call the lady. can you kindly tell me who you are and what do you do?” asked the inspector.

“I am Vanamali and work in Delhi as a consultant for a big corporate doing liaison with the government at high levels. I have come on tour here for a week,” replied Vanamali, producing his card.

The lady was brought by a policeman into the room when Vanamali jumped up and almost screamed to say,” Hey Sharmi, how come you are here? You were supposed to meet me tomorrow. What is all this unfortunate happening?’ and turned to the Inspector to tell him, “Yes, she is my niece Sharmila and has a degree in sociology besides various diplomas on social work. Yes, she is an activist on woman related issues. Her mom is in Mumbai with her brother.”

Meanwhile the guy who accompanied her came into the room. “I have not seen him and I cannot identify him except that he was aware she employed some people on ad hoc basis when required.”

“Actually, I got a tip possibly from a public booth to raid an apartment at a posh building complex. I learn there were one or two complaints earlier but have no idea what happened. When I went this time, I found the apartment empty except for these two. The others must have made a hurried exit. This lady was also telling that she was surprised no one was there. I am thinking of releasing both but…” he lingered looking at the face of Vanamali.

“Tell me what is the problem?” asked Vanamali.

“Normally we should have a written document of happenings during the day. But considering the status of the individual and the clarification given by you, I am wondering what I should do,” he said with a sly grin, simultaneously asking the others to leave the room.

It is not known what happened subsequently but within a few minutes, Vanamali was on his way to his hotel along with Sharmila.

Later in the late evening as he was ensconced with her in business class on a flight to Delhi, he looked at her and smiled. “It was pure luck that I visited the place two days ago to spend the evening with you for the first time, when you related your story of how you were deceived and brought to this wretched place a couple of months back to be forced into a life of shame and that your attempts to escape were frustrated by the vigilant staff there,” Vanamali said.

“You only gave me the idea of for an escape by giving your number to me and about your plan to tip the police from unknown source. Somehow the other women there got the scent of a raid and vanished in a trice, while I consciously stayed put to get caught along with the poor guy who I mentioned as my assistant. The rest you know. ​​she said

“You might have doubted my promise to rescue you was also  like the ones that many others promised but failed to keep. I assured with the full intention of giving you a dignified life by marrying you regardless of your past as I took a liking for you. I am single and in a good financial position to take care of you. You can take up a job if you like. My only request to you is that you put behind your past and take a pledge along with me that we would be loyal to each other for life. I am willing to wait for a couple of months, if you need, for you to give your willingness to marry me. You can in the meanwhile stay with me,” he said in a determined tone.

“Show me your card to know more about you, Vanamali? I must confess my name is not Sharmila but actually Vimala.I have no degree in sociology or any diploma as you said to the inspector  but am a programmer in an IT company.”

He laughed and said,” I am no Vanamali or a consultant as indicated in the card hurriedly printed after my visit to you. I am Vikram and in the same field as you are, though I am in a senior position in a different role.”

“By the way, who is the cousin of yours living in Mumbai whose daughter I am supposed to be?” she asked with a mischievous smile.

“Oh, you are referring to my cousin? She is as fake as Sharmila and Vanamali are,” he replied even as he pinched her slightly.

“I am so grateful to you, my saviour, on two counts. If you had just saved me by bringing me out of the despicable dungeon and left me to fend for myself, I would have still saluted you for being kind and humane. But you went a step further and have done something unimaginable, by promising me a life of honour with dignity and self-esteem. Your trust in me is incredible. I will abide forever by every tiny wish of yours and swear upon God that I will be true to you till my death. You may choose any day convenient to you  for our marriage. My heart is suffused with joy at the sequence of events in the last two days that seems a miracle” she said with tears from her eyes.

As the lights in the plane dimmed, he put his arm around her gently patting her back even as she moved closer to him fully relaxed at the happy turn of events..

 

 

21 comments:

  1. Excellent imagination. Well written/

    ReplyDelete
  2. A plot that is racy and thrilling like a movie, in fact, the whole story just whizzed past in a flash with a deluge of conversation with the main characters. Hats off to your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Good one, in awe of your imagination. It is surely an unexpected twist.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid imagination for writing this story. Totally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely ‘constructed’ story. Few twists like in a thriller. A happy end and all is well.-
    CHINNARAJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vikram, the visitor of brothels wants a promise of lifelong fidelity! What an irony!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jet speed story with many twists and turns but ended in a happy note! Very well narrated and interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice story with unexpected twist.- asit ganguly

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful story. It has the twist that is characteristic of all your stories

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved it Partha Sir 🤗 One finds a soulmate in the most unexpected of places. Mahesh

    ReplyDelete

  11. Liked the story so much. The storyline was an imaginatively thought out one, but still perfectly plausible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. interesting plot with multiple twists

    ReplyDelete
  13. KP Sir, of course I had to stretch my imagination to tether’s end comprehending the cloak and dagger role of Vanamali arriving before at the happy ending !
    But your feel good story is always enjoyable:-))

    ReplyDelete
  14. A little convoluted but really a feel good story !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little convoluted but really a feel good story !

      Delete
  15. This looks to be a fine work of imagination. Your imagination really is so powerful. How it started and How it ended - totally unimaginable.. enjoyed the read indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Though a fiction I was happy to see at least one woman get out of the hell that she was in. Though Vikram himself visited the brothel, I am glad he realized that he would be able to bring about a change in Vimala’s life. Hopefully this change in Vikram would be impactful and Vikram and Vimala would be able to help more women in similar situations. Nice plot with a positive ending.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting and mixed up--a good rendition of the complexities of life. Reminds me of Bertolt Brecht's “Threepenny Opera“. No good or bad, just different circumstances.

    Srikanth

    ReplyDelete