Sunday, May 14, 2023

A bouquet for my mother


I stopped the car when I saw the flower shop. I was on my way to meet my sweet heart whom I have been dating for nearly a year. She was turning 25 this day. I ordered a bunch of 25 large red roses to be made into a fine bouquet. As I was waiting, I saw a young boy of around ten years bargaining with the shop assistant. I heard him telling me “I have only 10 rupees. Can you make a small bouquet of roses for that amount? “

The assistant told him” Sorry. The minimum we make is Rs.50/. I can manage a small one for Rs.25. What you have is not adequate”

It is Mother’s Day today. I assure you I can pay the balance in two months. Won’t you please help me?” pleaded the boy.

The assistant said a bit harshly “No credit. We are busy in the morning with customers. Please go away without disturbing.” With tears trickling from his eyes, the boy moved away.

I called the boy” Hey, come here I will get for you a bouquet for your mom. I am glad you are a loving son and remember the occasion to surprise your mom. She should be happy to see the bouquet. Please wait,” even as I ordered a small bouquet.

Meanwhile the shop assistant gave me my bunch of 25 roses beautifully arranged and covered in transparent colour paper and a small bouquet of roses neatly packed for the boy.

I asked the boy to get into the car telling him that I would drop him if his home was not far away. The boy got down after a short distance before a small house. As I also got down asking whether he would not invite me home, he said rather hurriedly “Sorry Sir. My mother is actually no more. She passed away a few months back. That was why I was hesitant.”

I got angry and shouted as I held him by his collar, “You cheat, you had the temerity to bluff that you wished to give roses to your mother on Mother’s Day.”

With folded hands, he appealed “Kindly listen to me Sir. I have not uttered a lie. For the last three or four years, I used to get her a few red roses from the adjacent gardens on Mother’s Day. She loved them very much and would feel very happy. This year I thought as she was no more, I will get her a bouquet. Thanks to you, I can place it before her photo. I will be happy if you come in.”

Not fully convinced, I entered the small tenement to find in the only living room, a faded photo in black and white of a young woman kept on a clean table with faux flowers on it and joss sticks on a holder and a lamp in front of the photo I felt sorry for shouting hastily on suspicion.

My thoughts went immediately to my mother residing in a senior home in the same city. She was in early seventies with poor vision and diminished mobility due to arthritis. She used a walker to move about. I am the only son on a marketing job. We lived in our spacious home till my father passed away.... Since I cannot be with her on all days and she cannot manage alone in a big house even with physical assistance, I decided to put her in this very posh and comfortable paid senior home with all amenities including assisted living. There was no other option with my touring job at the level I was working at then. My mother, gentle by nature and practical, agreed to the arrangement.

 We sold and out of the proceeds paid the cost of one unit to the senior home and arranged for the transfer of the monthly subscription from the bank. She did not depend on me financially. I went to meet her initially once a week or oftener whenever in the city. Gradually the visits reduced, especially after I fell in love with a lady and started dating her for a year. It is almost three months since I met my mom.

The young boy who lovingly placed the bouquet before her mom opened my eyes. Ashamed at myself, I rushed back to the flower shop and got a large bouquet of roses and got sweets and snacks. Along with my fiancée I bought some dresses for my mom and went to meet her. She was greatly surprised and was immensely happy when I introduced my fiancée.

“Oh dear, can you please come very near so I can see your face?” asked my mother. When my fiancée got close to her, my mom took her face in her hands and said to me,” She is very charming and cute. You are mighty lucky. May you both marry soon and live happily.”

On our way back, my fiancée remarked “We must visit her every weekend. God willing, we shall keep her with us once we get married. We can employ a helper to attend to her needs. Do remember you are no longer touring.”

As I drew her close to me, she cautioned.” Watch out, you are driving on the main road.”

27 comments:

  1. Wonderful story! Liked the end of the story.👌👌🥰🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. An apt story for today. An eye opener for all whose priorities are different. We shd never forget the hand that raised us. Happy Mother's Day to all Mother's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good story to read on Mothers’ day. Sometimes you need to be reminded of your duties by someone who is a simpleton!
    CHINNARAJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good Romcom for the mother's day. Janardhan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful story thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful story.thanks.ramakrishnan

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, beautiful writing sir 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful story particularly the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a crisp and lovely story! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like your fiancé is a nicer person than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fiction in first person😄

      Delete
    2. I know. I was praising your fictional fiancé.

      Delete
  11. Nice story on Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very emotional story! The small boy changed his life! Such a small incident changed it! The narration made it unique, Kp! Keep writing often!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A regular and simple story fittingly appropriate for the very special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cleverly composed story. The scenario is conducive to any or every part of the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely story. Unfortunately we tend to take our parents for granted. We don’t normally realise that it is at the later stages in their life they need us - more importantly our love- most. Good one for this Mother’s Day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice story indeed. It clearly tells sometimes small gesture becomes eye opener..heart touching indeed. So wonderfully penned

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very appropriate story for mother's day. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. Whatever we say, times have changed and even if parents live with children, they are not happy for long, so better to think about ways to live and enjoy life on your own.. somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very good story. We should not forgetting our duties towards our parents who spent their full life for us

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautifully written, sir. 👏
    Conveying the emotions, rightly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully written. Love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Heart-touching, beautifully written. Love the story.

    ReplyDelete