
The temple was not crowded early in the morning. I stood
alone in the inner sanctum, looking at the deity, resplendent and bathed in
sandalwood paste. Suddenly, a shrill voice from inside asked, “Have you
ever greased someone’s palm for my darshan?”
I shuddered in disbelief and mumbled, “Not today, but I fear
I have done once, on a festival day.”
“When you meet me next Sunday, you will neither have to
bribe anyone nor wait for darshan. It will be instantaneous,” said the voice.
“What does He mean by ‘instantaneous meeting ’? Could it
mean the end of my life?” I wondered.
Drenched in sweat and consumed by fear, I began thinking of
all the unfinished business in my life: an unwritten will, enormous loans given
to trusted friends but remaining unrecovered, many unregularised benami land
and property transactions, and, above all, the prospect of my grieving wife and
growing children.
I could hardly walk back home. The moment my wife opened the
door, she shrieked, “Are you all right? Why are you drenched in sweat and
looking so frightened? Are you feeling unwell? Tell me the truth!”
“Leave it. If I tell you, you will be even more frightened.
You may not believe me either,” I replied.
She was adamant, so I finally told her about the divine
voice in the sanctum and my fear that some tragedy awaited me on Sunday. She
burst out laughing.
“It is my fault. I should have told you earlier. You
mentioned that you were expecting your promotion orders. I also prayed that our
children should, as usual, do well in the final examinations beginning next
week. So I requested the temple priest to perform a puja and offer Pongal and
Kesari. He agreed to do it this Sunday at seven in the morning, when the temple
would be nearly empty. Perhaps the priest spoke to you from the dimly lit
sanctum. I certainly don’t believe that God spoke to you!”
“No, the priest was not there. I was alone there. My God,
what have you done? God was already displeased that I had greased the
watchman’s palm to jump the queue, and now you have dared to bribe God Himself
for petty favours. I am afraid you have put me in great trouble,” I said,
overwhelmed by my fears.
“Be sensible. Anyway, we are going to the temple to fulfil
my vow,” she assured me.
When we reached the temple on Sunday morning, the priest was
not seen in the sanctum. Apart from two people sitting at a distance in a
mandapam, there was no one around.
“Let me check his house. It is right behind the sanctum,” I
said.
It was a small tenement covered by asbestos sheets,
consisting of a hall, a bedroom and a tiny kitchen. A boy of about twelve was
standing on a stool beside the wall adjoining the sanctum. I saw a large hole
behind him in the wall.
“Where is the priest?” I asked.
“Appa! Someone has come to see you,” he called out in his
squeaky voice.
The priest emerged from the kitchen.
“Everything is ready. The Pongal and Kesari
are done. Please go to the sanctum. I will follow you with the prasadam,”
he said. Then he instructed his son, “Mukunda, take them carefully to the
shrine.”
I was pleased to see that the boy handled the large plate
carefully, which I had brought. It contained plenty of fruits, betel leaves,
turmeric, camphor and incense sticks.
As Mukundan rang the bell with gusto, the priest performed
the puja properly and without hurry. After the arati, I placed a ₹500
note on the plate. The priest’s face broke into a grateful smile.
As we were about to leave with the prasadam, I said,
“Can we speak privately for a few minutes?”
He looked at me apprehensively, and the colour drained from
his face.
“What is this nonsense about a divine voice in the sanctum
frightening devotees?” I asked sternly. “I am a devout man, though I am also a
police officer. But I do not believe in an oracle speaking in a child's squeaky
voice. I saw the stool in your hall, right beside the wall adjoining the
sanctum, and I also saw the hole. I want that hole to be sealed properly
with bricks and cement. Do you understand?”
The next moment, the priest fell at my feet.
“Forgive me, sir. I am in the throes of extreme
poverty. My salary is very low, and the trustee firmly refused any increase
but expects that the offerings by devotees on the arati plate are adequate to supplement my income. There is hardly any crowd or special
pujas except on festival days. I cannot even afford my children's school fees.
We sometimes go without food, except on days of special puja like today.
I promise I will never do such a thing again.”
“I forgive you this time because I trust your sincere regret
and promise. But remember, I may be a strict policeman if you repeat it.
I will talk to the trustee and suggest appealing to the public
for donations to increase the corpus and also increase your salary.
On my part, I will bear the expenses of your children’s
education, including the books and uniform, if any. But you must teach them
good values,” I told him before pressing a thousand rupees into his hand.
My wife looked at me with pride and satisfaction.
As I turned to leave, Mukundan suddenly fell at my feet.
Tears welled up in his eyes.
“Uncle, my father always warned me not to indulge in such
pranks, but I did not listen. I only wanted to reduce his financial burden by
encouraging devotees to perform more pujas with unfailing dakshina and
liberal prasadam. It was my mistake that he was not aware of it many
times. I swear I will lead an honest life from now on. Please do not punish my
father,” he pleaded.
I gently patted his head.
“Good boy. Study well,” I said.
As we walked away from the temple, I could not help smiling.
The ‘divine’ voice had indeed kept its promise.
My darshan that Sunday had been instantaneous, but the
oracle had not been God. It had been a hungry child, speaking through a hole in
the temple wall.
A simple story that tugs at your heart for the little boy.
ReplyDeleteA story exposing blind beliefs
ReplyDeleteNice simple story ЁЯЩП
ReplyDeleteVery well written. It has brought out our tradition of faith. At the same time, warding off superstition. Super
ReplyDeleteA good one. Loved Mukundan and his thought process. A wonderful ruse to help his dad. There are many temples outside the cities which are in real need of help. The priests are not well looked after like in cities.
ReplyDeleteDifferent thinking. Nice story
ReplyDeleteThe boy has taken a leaf out of Sholay when Dharmendra talks to Hema Malini standing behind the statue of a diety. Blessed are the benefactor of humanity. Tu pyaar ka sagar hai...
ReplyDeleteOn a lighter note, the boy has taken a leaf out of Sholay when Dharmendra talks to Hema Malini standing behind the statue of a diety. Here the boy was rewarded with all his school expenses. Blessed are the benefactor of humanity. Tu pyaar ka sagar hai.
ReplyDeleteSweet story!
ReplyDeleteEverything that we do for a poor family , we do it for God. роПро┤ைропிрой் роЪிро░ிрок்рокிро▓ே роЗро▒ைро╡ройைроХ் роХாрогро▓ாроо்
ReplyDeleteChitra
Wonderful sharing uncle. Enjoyed reading
ReplyDeleteHidden in the storyline, is the sad state of the livelihood of priests today. Gone are the days when royal patronage, land grants, and community endowments kept this profession vibrant for centuries.
ReplyDeleteKamsa's fears following Asriri alert could not be averted by him despite killing 7 siblings of Krishna ,who was the eight on his murderous list..
ReplyDeleteWhat I mean is real Oracle had existed on Greek beliefs and Indian mythology . Mukundan made use of Oracle technique though not successfully.
Jagadeesan
Very nice. Ramakrishnan.
ReplyDeleteA sweet rendition! The small boy indulging in mischief if only to help his father is to my mind, still a dharmic act! Indeed, many temples in India are in ruins, with the priests leading a poverty stricken life.
ReplyDeleteNo high ground values will work with poverty. Proper remuneration even at the service of God is required to maintain the faith. Sir, these are old stories of survival. Present stories are looting the God himself by all the near and dear ones. Regards PKR
ReplyDeleteNice story !
ReplyDeleteVery nice story.
ReplyDeleteThe pathetic situation of priests serving majority of the temples is in a very bad state. This has developed into a heart rendering story. "To pay or not to pay" an amount even to enter the temple troubles the Officer and is presented in a hilarious way. A lesson or two can be derived from the master priest and his son as the story is developed and closed. Another nice story on the whole.
ReplyDelete