Friday, July 6, 2018

Happy denouement


 “I have lot of respect for you both but please appreciate it is my life. I will alone choose my partner as and when I come across someone I like. In spite of my specific request, I am hurt that you both chose to ignore my wish, “ Menaka said. She was furious when her dad informed her over tea about one Eswar coming to meet her at a restaurant in the weekend.
 “Menu, I am fully aware of your views on this matter. I happened to meet an old friend of mine after a very long time and exchanged the happenings during the intervening years. When he came to know about you, he suggested about his son Eswar for you. I told him that you are totally averse to arranged marriages and that I can do little in the matter,” said her dad.
“Then why did you agree for my meeting him at a restaurant this Sunday?”
“I could not bluntly refuse when he made the suggestion that you both meet outside at a restaurant over a breakfast instead of at home traditionally. I would not compel you to marry him if you do not wish to. But I am impressed with Eswar’s credentials and would leave it to you to decide after meeting him. I was also told that he is a tall guy with curly hair and athletic build. Please meet him for my sake. Here is his profile. I have no photo of his readily but he will be in jeans and a light blue T shirt” said her dad.
“Which restaurant and at what time? I will just walk out if he keeps me waiting,” asked Menaka with some asperity in her voice.
“Park view,8am.”
After a glance at the profile, she knew why her dad fell for the guy. Eswar met all the requirements that parents of any bride would look for. Highly qualified, he was already holding a middle level position in a multinational bank. He belonged to a decent and affluent family with a large house in a gated community in the suburb. He had a good flat within the city and a medium sized car.
Menaka was at the restaurant sharp at 8 am but the guy was not to been. She waited for ten minutes and was upset with the guy still missing. She had half a mind to leave the place but decided to wait for five more minutes for her dad’s sake. As she was browsing her Facebook, she heard someone loudly coughing by her side. She turned with a startle to see a stodgy guy in blue T shirt of medium height with a receding hairline.
 “Menaka. I believe. I am Eswar,” he said taking her hand and shaking a trifle longer than usual with a tight clasp. The absence of a prefix to her name and the rough handshake put her off instantly. She was speculating at the uncouth stout guy before her to the favourable description given by dad. After initial introduction, he walked to a corner table and settled comfortably leaving her to pull a chair to sit. To make matters worse, the guy ordered idly, masala dosa and coffee without asking her what she would prefer. He was too loud for her comfort and seemed restless drumming the table with his fingers making a few turn their heads.
He then embarked on what seemed to be a long rant and from the word go started telling her what he expected of his wife to be elaborating on his likes and dislikes. He was neither chivalrous to enquire first about her, her interests, her dreams and such like nor gave her an opportunity to talk He kept talking about himself interspersed repeatedly with the phrases’ I hope you follow’ and ’I hope you understand.
The last straw was when he said, “Let me make it very clear at the outset that I am very fond of my mother and would not like her to be unhappy on any account because of my wife whoever she is.ls that clear?”
Menaka developed an instant dislike for him and for his boorish behaviour. She did not talk much. At the end when he asked her whether she had anything to ask of him, she replied in the negative and stood up. Thinking possibly, he made a favourable impression on her, he made a parting remark “You are very quiet. I like you for this reason. I have an aversion for women who talk much.” Without reacting but fuming within, Menaka walked towards the gate.
When she met her eager parents, she did not elaborate but made known her total dislike for him and requested them not to proceed further in the matter. They were disappointed and felt Menaka was being foolish with preconceived notions.
That evening as Menaka readied herself to leave for gym, her dad asked her, “Can you drop me at my friend’s place. He has come to the flat for a couple of days. You need not come inside. I will take an Ola on my way back.” She readily agreed.
When she drew the car to a stop opposite the flat, surprisingly dad’s friend was standing there talking to a neighbour. On seeing them, he was very happy and invited them both inside. Her dad said “Menaka is late for her gym. She will not come. I have come to spend some time with you.”
“No, I would not allow her to go without stepping in. I know she met Eswar this morning. I do not know what they decided. Whatever their decision, I do not care. She must pay me a visit,” he pleaded with her dad.
When her dad looked at her unsure of what she would do, she got down and said “OK I will come in for five minutes. Come on.”
As they settled down on sofa, uncle said, “I am very pleased that you both have come. Menaka, you do not have to speak anything about the meeting.” At that time a tall handsome and muscular guy came from one of the rooms hearing the voices.
“Eswar, see who have come,” said uncle
With a bewildered look she gazed at the young man opposite her for a while and told her father, “Dad, this is not the person whom I met this morning. Someone else short and stodgy in blue T shirt introduced himself as Eswar and was talking to me.”
Uncle turned to the young man, “What is happening, Eswar? Did you not meet her this morning as agreed upon? This is Menaka whom you were to meet. Who is the chap who impersonated you?”
“Appa, I will presently explain everything. Meanwhile, can I have a word with Menaka in private?” he said and turning to a surprised Menaka asked her to give him a few minutes. There was a confused look on the faces of both fathers when both young things went to the adjoining room.
“Sorry. Menaka, I played a dirty trick on you. Frankly I do not believe in arranged marriages. Dad was telling me you too have the same opinion. When he insisted that I meet you. I could not refuse him. But I wished to get out of this without displeasing him. I asked a friend of mine to meet you as Eswar with instruction to behave in such a disgusting manner that you would reject outright. I am sure you must be hating him?” he said patting both his cheeks with his hands symbolically for an apology.
Menaka could not contain her laughter at his theatrics but was gawking at him greatly impressed with his easy going manner, frank disposition and handsome look. He reminded her of Gregory Peck in his younger days.
“You are not talking? After seeing you I now realize I was a fool to have missed meeting in the morning such a charming and accomplished lady. How about meeting tomorrow evening at 6pm at the same place? I wish to impress you to win your nod” he said with a big chuckle.
Menaka equally moonstruck and replied with a bashful smile, “Why not, I will surely be there? Hopefully you will buy me dinner this time.”
“Oh. oh, did that bloke make you pay for the breakfast?”
“It is ok. I did a wise thing to come inside your home when your dad asked,” she said with a twinkle in her eyes
“I have one more request. Can we go to the hall hand in hand to make our fathers happy?” Eswar asked
With a loud ‘chee, chee’ in response, she grasped his proffered hand as they both stepped out rubbing shoulders with beaming faces.



17 comments:

  1. Hahaha. When I read about the stodgy guy I knew it was a trick. Nice story. A very good start to a dull morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful story. But this time, I was able to guess the ending midway through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice reading though I knew the first guy is not eswar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that it was a trick by Eswar...Instead, I was just thinking " See a person who works in a multi-national company can be a male chauvinist too. Then came the twist where Menu falling for the tall guy who look like Gregory Peck. Can't women fall for men with nondescript features and vice versa? This upsets me a lot...I am just saying what I felt.. You know I just love your stories...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one! Yes I guessed the first guy was not the one.
    Vasudha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice one. I thought it to be a mistaken identity. Loved the happy ending

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't guess the end, but after all the reluctance showed by Menaka at the beginning, I thought she was too quick to come to that decision at the end.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet love story.. though it seems that his good looks is what impressed Menaka, it is his sense of humour and attitude that impressed her. All girls dream of husbands who look like iconic heroes but when it comes to decision time it is the character that wins. If the guy ends up looking like Gregory Peck she just hit a jackpot. Very nice story and enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice feel good story, as usual. I was expecting a twist in the tale though :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an interesting twist and loved reading the happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a sweet story. It shows how the things fall in correct places by surprising us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a good ploy by the guy. That's called "strategising" in modern management parlance!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha ha ha...i am still laughing...we do come to hasty conclusions and fortunately the story here had a happy ending for the girl..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful story. As usual you showed your master skill.Envy you

    ReplyDelete