Tuesday, November 13, 2018

A tough decision indeed (twists galore)

The inspector of police was about to leave the police station for home. A constable came in to announce that a young lady wanted to see him urgently. She came soon behind him, a young lady in her late twenties. The Inspector asked the constable to remain outside. She seemed educated and spoke flawless English. The inspector was an elderly man about to retire in a year with a daughter of her age and a son well settled.
Asked what brought her to the station, she said coolly “I have poured acid on my husband’s face when he was asleep. He is writhing in pain at my home.” The inspector could not believe what he heard till she assured him that it was a fact. The inspector asked her to wait and meanwhile sent a SI with a constable in a jeep along with keys to her home to admit the man in agony in a hospital. He simultaneously arranged an ambulance to reach her home
Once this was taken care of, he asked her to narrate the events truthfully as they happened. After a glass of water, she said” I am Swati, a post graduate in Botany and a lecturer in a college. I made the mistake of falling in love with this man whom I married later. He is an exceptionally handsome guy, with an infectious smile, slightly effeminate, suave in manners and an engaging conversationalist that would sweep any woman off her feet. He is intelligent, cunning, lazy and fond of good living, easy money and adept in handling girls.
When I fell in love with him, he told me that he was a MBA and an executive in a reputed company. I have waited before his office building in the evenings till he came out for spending the evenings. He took me around to places but took care not to take advantage of my mad love for him before marriage. This made me trust him more. I have no mother.
My father an old man who is no more had one look at him and said “Swati, he rings fake to me. Something about him warns me that he is not right, though I cannot pinpoint. Don’t be in a hurry to marry him. Have his statements verified independently before you take this important decision.”
Foolish and headstrong as I was, I ignored his suggestion and went ahead with the marriage. At the suggestion of my husband, it was a simple marriage with a very few friends of his. It was only later after a few months that I could find out, he had no job, had no MBA and was a plain loafer. It transpired later he waited in the office building to pose that he worked there. I also learnt to my utter shock that I was his fifth wife and that he had inveigled earlier many girls like me and married them, gave them children and robbed them of their money. He went each night to one of the unfortunate women.”
The kindly inspector asked “Do you have any child? Have you also parted with your jewels and belongings as I see no gold on your neck or hands?”
She replied “Yes, I have lost all. Luckily I have no child. He made me abort the one immediately after marriage telling me that it would be a hindrance for planned holidays and I was then not aware of his shenanigans. The immediate provocation for my drastic step today was his attempt to cheat a young girl into a marriage. I overheard his conversation telling her that he is an IRS officer and unmarried when he assumed I was not at home. When I confronted him that I would not tolerate any more of his cheating young women and that I would complain to police, he laughed derisively and asked me to get lost.
The inspector kept quiet thinking of a plan to resolve successfully this matter. I knew his looks were his asset and I decided to take it away from him so that no girl would ever fall a victim any more to his wily moves. I had strong acid for cleaning purposes and I decided to wait till he fell asleep on the sofa after watching TV as he usually does. I took this decision consciously and am prepared to suffer punishment for it.”
The inspector kept quiet motioning her to remain silent and thought over the matter for a few minutes. He could see in the agitated young girl before him a picture of his own daughter. He could visualize the mental torture of hers having been cheated by a riffraff. He had no sympathy for the young man who got his just desserts. What he was worried was the wrong manner in which the justice was administered to him by the young woman taking law into her own hands.
After a while he coughed slightly and told her in a quiet voice” You have taken law into your own hands. This is highly wrong, a big offence and punishable. Listen carefully, you are of my daughter’s age and I trust what all you have said. Still I will make independent inquiries to verify the veracity of your statements. If he is really a culprit as you have explained, have no worry at all. You said that you poured the acid on his face when he was asleep. He must have lost his vision by now. Give me a statement duly signed that on entering the house from the college, you found the door open, your husband writhing in pain on sofa and that someone must have assaulted him with acid out of enmity. Utter no word to anyone that you did it and stick to this no matter what. I will bring this case to a successful conclusion to the great relief of his five cheated wives and to the rescue of his potential sixth victim.”
 He stood up, patted her on her shoulders and said “Don’t worry; you have a dad in me. Policemen aren’t as bad as they are often depicted.”
The story can end here. However, for some of the readers who expect a twist at the end, please read on.
It was then the mobile in Inspector’s hand rang.” What did you say? Repeat it, is it that your brother is in hospital with acid burn? Which hospital and who gave the information? I am rushing there,” he replied to his wife.
He turned to see Swati trembling in fear. “Do not worry. Our deal stands. If the man is a cheat, he will pay the price. You may go home without fear. My only wish is that your husband is not my brother in law but a different man, though my brother in law is a wastrel with all the traits of your husband.” the inspector said as he rushed to the jeep.
For those not satisfied with the above twist being unrealistic, here is another.
On hearing is wife, the inspector looked at the trembling Swati sternly without a trace of compassion he showed earlier and walked to his desk. He took her statement from the drawer and tore it to shreds and bellowed to SI,” Take her to women’s police station and keep her in the lock up till you hear from me.”
If you desire the ultimate twist, here is one.
When the mobile rang in inspector’s hand, he asked, “Tell me quickly. I am in a hurry to go out. Did you say your wife is missing? What is her name? Okay. Please tell me,” and listened quietly and looked at Swati once or twice. Finally, he said to the person on the phone, “Yes, sir, she is here. You may come immediately. I will wait for you.”
In a few minutes, a young and handsome man got down from car and introduced himself, “I am Mohan, IRS working as Assistant Commissioner," and  gave his card and showed his ID. "This is my wife Swati. I am sorry she has inconvenienced you all. She is having some psychological problem and very occasionally gets into a bout of persecution complex and imagines all sorts of things. This is the third time. We are a happily married couple. She is under treatment under Dr. Sargunaraj. If you wish, you may talk to him."
Meanwhile Swati had snuggled close to Mohan and smiled innocently at the inspector unaware of the problem she had created a while ago.Evidently the presence and comfort of her husband's proximity had calmed her mind.




21 comments:

  1. Wow!!amazing how you are able to give three different endings when its so tough to portray one scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sort of enjoyed all the twists here. We know that these things happen and it makes us believe these twists. Good narration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good story with great narration and twists, but the last twist takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ungalai minja aal kidaiyaadu, this is astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved it all the way! All twists were well webbed. Thank you for sharing!👍

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel, you could have struck to one twist - the one which you thought was the best.

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice. Twist galore it is! 👏👏👏
    And I like the final twist with a happy ending. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa... I wasn't expecting any of the ends.
    Kept me hooked till the end... felt a little sad in the end though.
    Depression is turning out to be a big problem these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The concluding twist was really beyond this reader's thought. The earlier narration of the event was so much convincing that one can't think of breaking the muse, but the writer carries smoothly that to another.. This gives an impression that, though truth is always constant and one, its outer expression is variable and has many faces.. Really a nice story to read!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who says you can’t please everyone!!! You catered to everyone’s taste by giving us different endings. And what endings! Each with a twist. Kudos to your imagination and story writing. As for me, I am still trying to figure out my favorite. I love them all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the last twist more. A sweet and a happy ending. You are good at bringing twists in stories. 👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent. Reminds me of a movie (long time ago) where theaters in different cities had different climax ending scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just remembered. There is a 1985 comedy-mystery movie titled “Clue”, directed by Jonathan Lynn, had 3 different endings depending on which theater you saw the movie.

      Delete
  13. The fulcrum of the story to me is the paragraph where Swati's old father gave her some very balanced advice. "This man rings fake to me....cannot pin point..." How wise! You cannot deceive experience and wisdom. Beautifully written story.
    Harini Kapoor

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoyable to read different possibilities. I liked the first ending the best.
    Vasudha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting story with various endings.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good one, no doubt.
    It's not unusual for stories to have multiple twists in the plot. But it's for the first time I am seeing multiple twists provided before the actual climactic ending, as options for readers to choose from. I am not familiar with literature. Is it possibly a new trend in story telling?
    To me, those optional twists sort of came in the way of the rhythm and pace of the story.
    Still, I must say that this looks like an innovative and new way of narration.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Three twists! If I had to take my pick, I'd go with the last as I am a sucker for happy endings :) But then, it is in variance with the advice her father gives her before she marries the man. I would like to imagine that she made up that part too, which would make her a serious psychiatric case!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The concluding twist was really beyond readers imagination.you are known for twists but wow three in one is amazing. Loved it from the heart

    ReplyDelete
  19. The concluding twist was really beyond this reader's imagination. You are known for twists but wow three is amazing. Loved it from the heart.you are master writer

    ReplyDelete