Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Swaroop's gaffe (755)

 


Swaroop had joined a new company in a senior position just a fortnight before the new year. As was the usual custom, all executives were requested to attend the New Year’s Eve party with spouses without fail. He asked his wife Kusum to accompany him for the party at  Hotel Ariya.She pleaded  her inability saying, “How can I come when I am also to attend a similar party at my new office? They were particular that no one should abstain.”

Swaroop felt it would look odd and not befitting his position if he were to go alone singly but she was adamant. When he reached the foyer of the hotel and stood hesitantly, he found a strikingly attractive woman looking at him intently. When he stared back at her without turning his head, she too kept her gaze fixed on him. A fleeting thought occurred whether she could be a fun-loving and daring type. When he smiled at her nodding his head imperceptibly, she came quickly by his side and said, “Have we met before here? I am Shyama.”

"I am not sure but you look quite familiar. I am Swaroop and I am here to attend a New Year Eve party supposedly with my spouse. I am in a quandary as she is not in a position to attend. Are you by any chance alone here?" he asked.

When she nodded her head, Swaroop continued,"  Lucky, we found each other. Just wondering if  you are free for the next three or four  hours? Please do not take me amiss,” he said.

“Hahaha! You want me to impersonate your wife, do you? Yes, I do not mind helping you  but would charge you by the hour, what say,” she said laughing somewhat boisterously.

“No price is too high for you, Shyama. Please accompany me and behave perfectly like my wife. Do not take me wrong and read much into this temporary deal, I warn you in advance,” he said with a  twinkle.

The party started by 9pm with drinks followed by dance and dinner. Swaroop let everyone assume Shyama  was his wife. She was so adept in dancing and engaging in conversation that she soon became the cynosure of all present. She in turn enjoyed  all the attention on her  while Swaroop turned into an  object of envy . By 11 pm everyone moved to the main hall standing in small groups. Many of the participants gravitated to where Shyama and Swaroop were standing.

He could not resist comparing Kusum with Shyama and felt though the latter was sprightly and good in dance, she cannot hold a candle to Kusum who was extremely intelligent, sophisticated and loving. He was feeling a sense of guilt at this crazy arrangement he got into  for the party. It was then  he heard behind him a gentle voice calling his name. He turned pale in great shock with panic on his face on seeing Kusum darting towards him.

“ I hope you are now happy that  I am here. Luckily I could wrench myself away from that boring crowd in my office to be with you,” she said in good cheer even as she snuggled close to him in great warmth. 

When others in confusion looked askance at her, Kusum threw a bombshell ,”Sorry for interrupting unannounced. I am Kusum, Swaroop’s wife. Sorry for being late as I was held up late in my office.”

Some wag blurted looking at Shyama, “Arrey, what is this tomfoolery? We were all along given the impression that this vivacious lady is Swaroop’s wife.”

Everyone turned their gaze towards Shyama to her great discomfiture. With her face red in anger and embarrassment, she exploded at Swaroop, “You liar, you told me that your wife would not come. I am done with you. Give me my fee of Rs.3000 as agreed upon and never ever contact me again.” Turning to Kusum, she said, “You are lucky. He was tiring me all through the party talking about you, your graceful demeanour, your intelligence and the deep love you have for him. Fie on him, I detest him.”

There were loud guffaws from colleagues at his gaffe and heartbroken sobbing from Kusum. Swaroop's indiscretion cost him not only the loss of face among colleagues but he had  also forfeited the trust among his bosses who were present and left a lingering doubt on his fidelity in the mind of Kusum despite the mollifying words from Shyama.

“Every short-cut has a price usually greater than the reward”

 

17 comments:

  1. Short cut? Nah...momentary weakness! Some can resist; many cannot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from Janardh, I think
      KP

      Delete
    2. Very good. Nice reading.ramakrishnan.

      Delete
  2. Interesting story. Telling the truth is easier than lying, no doubt.

    Srikanth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering what would happen post-party... Didn't see this twist coming. Kusum could have waited for some more time😉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swaroop' s action not in good taste. I think truth shd never be traded whatever the position. Admire your story telling skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Swaroop couldve reconsidered his decisions ..it cost him his reputation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Ha ! No one believes a liar. Henceforth his wife will never believe him when he is telling the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was just an impulsive gesture to have some innocent fun. We take ourselves too seriously and also have a holier than thou attitude. Why should the bosses or colleagues look askance at him. As if nobody acts impulsively! Nor did he have any wrong motive.
    Shantha Rao

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got reminded of the sequence from Panchatanthiram movie where Ramya Krishnan is presented as Kamal's wife and Simran is also present there. Good one KP sir. Regards - Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am surprised about the way you come up with variety 😍 enjoyed reading you.. that guy has hope coz shyamas comment had compliments about his wife 😄

    Sindhu

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admire how you wrote but a kind of film story, still I liked it! / padmaja

    ReplyDelete
  11. As I was reading I was waiting for Kusum to turn up ! Swaroop got what he deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder which company requires their employees to attend a party with their spouses. And, thank God there was no unexpected twist at the end of the story, ala, ménage à trois.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Variety is the spice of life...as is your plot as well as Swaroop's predicament!
    A story apt for the time that we live in literally, winding up 2022 in party style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good story. Some twist at the end with a humorous touch would have been nice. Damu

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good story with such a meaningful lesson

    ReplyDelete