Tuesday, April 16, 2024

The chaos over the missing records (803 words)

It was getting dark and cloudy with a nip in the air. I could see no one around in the park and did not wish to sit there anymore. As I got up from the bench, I saw a dark figure hurrying towards me. I could only see the silhouette signalling frantically with its hand to wait for him. I was a little jittery and wished to move away quickly. But, the figure was faster than me and was by my side asking me to sit down for a few minutes.

It was a tall and big man draped in a black blanket with a scary look. The eyes were big and sharp and the white teeth were pronounced. He looked strange though he smiled at me.” Do not be afraid. No harm will come to you. I need a little help from you as you seem to belong to this place” he said.

I mustered courage to ask “Who are you? You don’t look like a human with your unusually large frame. Tell me first before I decide to help you or not”

“Ok, let me not beat around the bush. Hold your breath! I am a Yama Duta (messenger of God of death) looking for one guy in this small town” he said

“Where does my help come?” I asked

“It is like this. Such a thing has never happened in the annals of Yamaloka. Our boss Chitragupta maintains a record known for its infallibility and accuracy. Strangely and inexplicably, something unheard of, a few pages of the record are found missing. There cannot be vested interests tampering with records as in your world. We are moving heaven and earth to locate and reconstruct. Our master Yamaraj is furious and worried about his reputation.

By chance, we came to know that one Banturi Venkata Raghavalu from this town is due to die today. I have no clue about him except for his name and town. I must take his life today if I value my job. You must tell me where that guy lives here. Luckily his name is uncommonly long and can be easily found out” narrated the worried Yama Duta.

I assured him “Do not worry. I was born and have lived all my life here and know almost all the people here being in the postal department. Give me five minutes to think undisturbed. Ply me with no questions”

“Take even 30 minutes. You are my saviour. But remember I have no clue except his name and town. Make sure you do not make a mistake.”

An evil idea took over my mind. I have been under great financial strain. My landlord who lives a few houses adjacent to mine has been pressing for the rental that I owe for several months. Three days back he made a scene outside my house with neighbours watching and threatened he would throw out my belongings outside if I failed to pay within a fortnight.

My wife had also been complaining that he frequented the house when I was not there casting his lecherous eyes on her and even obliquely suggesting a few times that the problem of arrear rental can be sorted out amicably.

This was a godsend opportunity to solve my problem. I wasted no time. Pretending that I suddenly remembered the victim’s name, I uttered rather loudly “Eureka, I know where your quarry lives. I remember his name very well. Do not worry as your problem is solved.”

The Yama Duta jumped in joy and exclaimed “Where is he? Tell me here and now. I will carry out my assignment and be gone to my place in satisfaction.”

“The man lives close to my house. He is a short and fat fellow. He is middle-aged and answers to the name Banturi Venkata Raghavalu. He is married…”

Even as I was continuing to describe, the fearsome man cut me short saying,” I don’t need all these details. I will rely on your word. Just show me his house. Is there any other man in the house to confuse me?”

I said none even as I pointed out my landlord’s house. He thanked me and disappeared in thin air.

The next morning my wife came running hurriedly as I was lazily rolling on my bed and said “I cannot believe it. It seems our landlord died of a sudden heart attack around 7 P.M. yesterday. The poor lady is wailing in great grief at this tragedy. Get ready. We will go there.”

When I left early for work the next day, my wife asked me why I was leaving earlier than my usual time., I replied with a poker face “I am going to the Newspaper office to insert an advertisement changing my name to Srinivasulu from Banturi Venkata Raghavalu."

 

21 comments:

  1. Never expected this twist, great! Your narration made my heart beat faster and faster...though I didn't like the guy's thinking...Very good plot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange are the ways of Yama and Chitragupta. Quick thinking by our middle class hero saves the day. Regards - Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mischievous guy !!!! Ha ha ha ha

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  4. A highly enjoyable story all through, having a totally unpredictable ending. The reader cannot but love the impish quick witted lead character for his unique solution to his problems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a smart and a quick thinking. Unexpected twist but nevertheless a wily character. Loved the narration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the REAL KP Sir! Dil mange more! More!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fast paced script. The end with the bend was hilarious. Long live Srinivasulu!!
    Janardhan N

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vaijayanthi NarsyananApril 16, 2024 at 9:26 PM

    This story I read today
    is interesting and
    ending in a twist.
    Nice story

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is marvellous and absolutely a stunner.The record keeping at Chitragupta is like our Government archives!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quick thinking saved his life. Never once did I guess he was the guy the Yamaduta was looking for. Nicely written with a great twist.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great story with a twist as usual . Quick witted guy but is that morally right ? Enjoyed reading it very much . Waiting for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Humour and suspense intertwined so beautifully , enjoyed to the last line. As usual the twist is the icing the cake make it so palatable !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes it is necessary to act smartly other wise one has to suffer.Great story with unexpected ending

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice. I think it is high time Yama Raja digitised his records!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha , spoken like a true it guy

      Delete
  15. The writer must have a devious mind! I thought as much. It seems to be a "kill two birds with one stone" scenario!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha , the author is versatile in playing chess on both sides and has the ability to see both good and evil

      Delete
  16. Even if Chitragupta has lost a few pages in his hissab kitaab ,it is already predestined that the landlord's time is up and has to go. BVR is destined to live. This can be confirmed once the missing page of Chitragupta's record is revovered or recostructed. Nothing happens without a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Indian (Telugu) ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah ha! Loved the end, very very cheeky :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now, now this is a story. Loved it all the way! :-)

    Thank you for sharing.

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete