Thursday, April 25, 2024

To Let (921 words)

 Raghavan, a marketing executive was frantically looking for a small apartment in Besant Nagar. He did not like working men's hostels that go under the name of 'mansions'. He never liked the ambience, the noise even at unearthly hours and litter of beer bottles outside each door and the foul smell. Wherever he went on learning about a vacant apartment either from an advertisement or word of mouth or with a To Let board, the owners turned him away saying the accommodation was for a small family. There was a resistance to letting out to singles. It is almost three months since he has been hunting.

In most places he visited, he found the same young lady in her twenties also approaching the owners. Either she had preceded or followed him. The result must have been the same for both as she always came with a long face. He had heard that it was more difficult for single ladies to get accommodation in apartments or working hostels. Many work in faraway IT offices on the outskirts and may be in shifts.

One Sunday afternoon as he came out of an apartment after the usual rejection of being single, he saw the lady climbing up the stairs to the apartment. He smiled at her and wished her good luck. She smiled back and said, “Thanks though I am sure of the outcome.”

He was sipping a coke at the pan shop on the road and he saw her coming out soon with the same long face. He called her “Hey, come here and tell me what happened. What is your name by the way?”

When she came near him, he offered her a coke and said “I know the outcome. I have been trying for quite some months and have lost hope.”

“Me too. I am Sita. But I need a place immediately. I am in a distant relative’s place and they have indicated clearly that I leave their house soonest. Frankly, I don’t know where to go and what to do. I cannot resign from the job and go back to my village”

“Oh, oh. I am sorry but no solution seems to be in sight unless devise some strategy.  I have one weird idea. If you are agreeable, we may succeed soon and our problem will be solved. Why don't we pose as a married couple and live in separate rooms? I promise you no harm will come to you. I am in marketing and will be away on tour for about 15 days a month. Some days I may return late at night. But you will have no cause to worry, I promise. “ He then told her about his job, family and other details.

Sita said” Seems a brilliant idea? I trust you and agree but I will walk out if you are not straight.” and gave all the details about her. They shook hands and exchanged mobile numbers.

Within a week they had occupied a two-bedroom beautiful apartment. She made early morning coffee if she got up earlier. They had cereals bread and fruits for breakfast. On holidays a caterer supplied them with food. The landlady took a liking for her and was non-interfering.  Everything went fine. The proximity and the frequent outings to restaurants and movies brought them together for tender feelings to blossom.

One Sunday as he was coming down the side staircase to get some magazines, he heard a booming voice from inside the landlord's ground floor space” Raghava, how come you are here? I know you are in Chennai. When I met your parents two months back at the village they were talking about you.”

Raghavan was shocked. It was Kodandam uncle of his village, a kind-hearted and guileless man

“Uncle, I am a tenant here. Glad to meet you. How is your health?”

"How come you are a tenant here? Kalyani, my niece, who is here, told me that a young couple is residing on the first floor. Your mom never mentioned about your marriage. Is it a love marriage or what? “he giggled and added “Where is your wife? Let me come up to your place and bless you both now that I am here”

 “Uncle, she has gone to her mother’s place and will return only in the evening,” he replied. Luckily Sita had gone out on some work.

“Oh.oh.I am leaving for Mumbai in a short while. I will visit you both next time. My best wishes to you.” he said

Raghavan went out immediately and did not return till in the evening.

In the night, he recounted  to Sita what had happened and said “I am sure Kodandam uncle would talk to my mother someday and the cat would be out of the bag”

Sita sat silent a bit worried but spoke later with a sparkle in her eyes” Raghavan, you are imaginative and always come up with bright ideas. Think of an idea  even one  out of the box thinking”

Raghavan let out a guffaw and said “I can think of only one and if I tell you, you will beat me”

“Hey, don’t be a meek one. Come out boldly. I am open to any good and attractive idea” she winked

“Eureka, the only option is to legitimize our tenancy agreement with the landlord’s requirements. I am all willing. What about you?”

She extended her hand and said “Accepted. It is a deal”, only to be surprised by the tight hug she got in return from him.

20 comments:

  1. Excellent story. I loved it. I have read about girls in China hiring “boy friends” so that their parents won’t pressure them into marrying. This one is a good idea. Singles hiring a spouse for renting in metropolitan cities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stories are more open and welcoming to the current ever changing culture. Very nice. 👏👏👏

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how open you are to such ideas . Did not expect such a story . Enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaaa....this is a good idea! The parents also will be happy! No jhunjhat of looking out for a boy, good charactered boy and wonder if they would like each other etc. Horoscope also is not needed. They can check about the gothra (it should not be sagothra, which most people don't agree) and if it is different gothras they can go ahead and do a simple marriage with a grand reception....All the money saved....It is so easy! Good luck! Good narration, as usual, KP... Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missamma (Missiamma in Tamil) film retold without the hassles the couple face in the film. 😌🙂

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent as always with the plot, characters and narration. How are you so well adaptive to the modern day trends, habits, style and thought process. You are ever observant and so much in vogue of things. I feel that I am archaic and so not in sync with what's happening nowadays..i remember this story which you had published recently that had lines written about gaming and the latest in that arena, hats off to you on keeping up with the Joneses and translating them into the plots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet story. Loved it.👌👌 Atin Biswas

    ReplyDelete
  8. The time has come to collect some of your best RomCom short stories and published as a book!!
    Janardhan N

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was a good one with happy ending. Love the way you portray the characters. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reason may be many,-- economy, convenience, boldness, it is more common now in Metros' specially in Bangalore and Mumbai " Live in Relationship " have a manifold increase. Mostly parents too ' Accepted ' it without a prejudiced mindset. Necessity is the mother of Ideas ---
    ( Invention) ? . Such good stories can come only from KP who have a heart and mind of the young.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute story with a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A good read. A common story in big cities.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good story relevant even today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sweet romantic story. Very forward thinking. I love your name choices for the couple - ‘Rab ne bana di jodi’. They tried to find a house and ended up finding love. Great narration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a sweet story and you chose their names so appropriately too

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such healthy attitude by the nex-gen is yet to be welcomed or appreciated by the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Our Govt is proposing conditions for living in and out of relationship,registering such arrangements both while commencing and later if they decide to separate.
    I do have my nephew in US, after several years of living in ,got courage to propose marriage to partner, after some years with the consent of both parents registered their marriage,and now after some years formal wedding ritual scheduled as per our culture in 03rd August 2024.
    If KP can bless them in person I am treating this as my invitation on behalf my sister and Brother in law in Dallas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Guessed the story the minute I read about two single people not getting rental! Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super mama. Loved the twist in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No comments, please! :-)

    There have been enough of these anecdotal happenings!
    In the very recent past there is also a Telugu film where two of them staying in the same apartment during different shifts without the girl knowing that there is also a guy staying in the same place without her knowledge. Of course, the story meanders so that they ultimately agree to marry (and disagree forever till kingdom come).

    Thank you for sharing.

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete