Saturday, April 6, 2024

The naughty intruder (428)

I heard my mobile ping. It was 4 am. My husband had not yet recovered fully from a viral fever that lasted a week. He was asleep. Half asleep I looked at my phone.

“Don’t make noise. I am on the ground floor and have entered your house" read the text.

I saw the number. It was my hubby's mobile.

"How did you get my hubby's mobile? He is sleeping by my side" I texted nervously.

"Did you not see that I am in your house? I borrowed his phone for a short while. Don’t wake him up. He seems unwell and I am fully armed.” said the reply I was numb with fear at the thought he had been to our bedroom.

Another message came "I warn you not to call police. I can harm you people and get away if I hear a police vehicle."

I saw my hubby snoring blissfully. I knew I should handle this manic carefully. I did not mind losing some money if he was after money. I was worried about another thing. I have been reading almost daily cases of assault on women. I did not know the intruder's age or his intentions. I started sweating and did not wish to make the slightest noise lest my hubby awoke. He is an impulsive guy and given to rushing without a plan.

"What do you want?" I texted

"Nothing much. Please come down.I will tell you"

Oh my god, what a cheek. Surely a maniac on the prowl is here. I took a baseball bat and slowly opened the adjacent room where my nine-year-old son was sleeping. He was asleep with his head covered by a bed sheet as he does always. As I shut the door gently another text followed.

"Do not delay. Come down quick"

I replied "Unless you tell me what you need specifically, I cannot come"

"Don't be afraid. There is nothing to fear”

"I told you very clearly to tell me what you need. If you don't tell within two minutes, I will ring up the police come what may "

One minute passed. The second minute was coming to an end. The text came promptly.

"I am hungry. I want Italian-style Macaroni with cheese"

I rushed to my little son's bedroom and pulled the bed sheet to see him holding hubby's mobile and looking for a message from me He is a mischievous boy given to pranks but it was the Macaroni and cheese that gave away as he wanted it in the evening.

22 comments:

  1. Ha ha . I did guess it from the title . Cute story

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet and short story indeed

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting but the title should have been something different:) But well narrated...enjoyed reading!....Sandhya Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good. Thanks.ramakrishnan.a.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anxiety, suspense of a thriller and finally hilarious and humorous...Nice story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The title gave away the nail-biting suspense :) Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha - cute twist - very well narrated ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally cute, any mother would love reading this story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the story, nice 😀

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's hilarious. Well narrated and enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lakshmi SrinivasanApril 7, 2024 at 8:02 AM

    Cute funny story. Totally enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could guess who it was, but a fun read nevertheless. ‘Don’t be afraid’.. ‘please come down”… what a considerate and polite though cheeky intruder!
    Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A short and sweet story ! Good time pass !

    ReplyDelete
  14. A big relief; for the little imp could only cause his quick witted mother to ultimately miss out just a few heartbeats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the trademark buildup of tension / suspense. (JJ)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha, Ha, Ha! A good one! Atin Biswas

    ReplyDelete
  17. Intrigue and suspense throughout, nice ending though
    CHINNARAJ

    ReplyDelete
  18. The impish story teller that you are churning out super cute cheesy stories!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice, sweet story. If the title had been a little suspenseful, it would have been even better with the build up :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a good one! :-)
    Thank you for sharing!

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete