Wednesday, September 18, 2024

A Divine Matchmaker (1778 words)

                                                       (I hope you like this story though a bit long)

As soon as the clock struck four in the evening, Kamala Paati would become restless and get ready in her nine-yard sari to visit the Sri Parthasarathi temple close to her house. She must be over seventy years old, tall and frail. Her head neatly combed and her forehead shining with a streak of red line, she carried herself with dignity. As she lived just behind the temple, she easily entered it from the rear gate.

She would sit at the same corner spot daily in the mandapam outside Perumal’s (god’s) sanctum and recite Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam (Thousand Names of Vishnu). She never missed a day in this routine. Sometimes, while gazing at Perumal, she would mutter something softly, and on occasions, she would gently pat her cheek with her fingers in a gesture of regret. She rarely spoke to anyone.

 If the sanctum was less crowded, she would step inside for a quick darshan of Perumal and take the theertham (holy water). Since she visited daily, she was well acquainted with the priests, particularly Singham Iyengar (hereafter referred to as Iyengar), who was not the chief priest but was always present in the evenings. He was around sixty-five years old and showed respect and kindness for the elderly Kamala.

One day, he gently asked her, “Do not think I’m prying into your matters, but I notice you pray devoutly to Perumal every day. It feels like you’re seeking something from him, yet it seems He hasn’t answered. If there’s any way I can help, don’t hesitate to tell me.”

Kamala replied, “Why would I hesitate to tell you? I’ve been through a lot in life. Money isn’t an issue. I had only one daughter. After carefully looking for a good match, we married her off to someone we thought was from a respectable family. Later, we found out he was a rogue, a cheat, and addicted to all kinds of vices. He never spoke the truth and was a cruel person.

My daughter, on the other hand, was calm, virtuous, and very strong. She was not the type to argue or raise her voice, which angered him even more. In fits of blind rage, he would beat her and torment her. While she was eight months pregnant, he kicked her in the waist in anger just because she said she didn’t have the money he demanded. The injury was severe, and though she gave birth to a baby girl, she passed away within a week.

“We took custody of our granddaughter and raised her. My son-in-law even tried to demand money in exchange for the child, but with the help of my relative, who was in the police force, we scared him off. There has been no contact with him since then.

“My granddaughter has grown into a beautiful maiden, just like her mother, both in looks and temperament. She’s highly educated and has a very good job. She’ll turn twenty-six this Vaikasi (Tamil month). My last wish is to see her married to a good-hearted, well-educated and loving person before I leave this world in peace. But nothing seems to materialise despite my best efforts. That’s why I come here every day to pray.”

“What’s her star and gotra? What did she study, and where is she working? Maybe I’ll come across some good match,”  Iyengar said.

“I don’t know all the details. She’s doing research on finding cures for diseases like cancer, and she earns a high salary,” Kamala replied.

“Ah, what an extraordinary and capable girl! How is her health and personality?” he asked.

“She’s healthy, tall and good-looking.  I need a little help from you. Will you do for me?” Kamala pleaded. She added, “I’ve been praying with all my heart for years, but Perumal hasn’t opened his eyes to my prayers. Maybe He has some reason, but I don’t know what.”

“Perumal knows when things must happen. Don’t worry; He will surely listen when the right time arrives,”  Iyengar said, trying to console her.

Kamala, with a determined voice, said, “You stand in front of Perumal every day and serve him. His name is always on your lips, and you’re always gazing at his divine form. If you whisper my request in His ear just once, I’m certain He will grant it. Will you do this for me?”

 Iyengar chuckled, saying, “I don’t work here for money. My children keep telling me, ‘Father, stop working at the temple and just stay at home. But I can’t bear to be away from Perumal even for a day. Whether or not He knows how much I love Him, I can’t tell.”

“Please don’t brush this off. When you’re alone, tell Him that the old woman’s granddaughter must be married to a good man soon. I’m sure He’ll listen to you. After all, you have a unique bond with Him because of your devotion and proximity. You’ll be blessed for helping me,” Kamala pleaded.

 Iyengar was torn between feeling amused and pitying her deep faith in his ability to sway Perumal. Despite his hesitation, he finally said, “Don’t worry, I’ll certainly convey your request to Him. He’ll surely fulfil your wish for your faith even if not for my sake.”

That night, Iyengar couldn’t sleep. The thought of requesting something from Perumal on someone’s behalf seemed presumptuous. "Who am I to ask Perumal to fulfil such a request?" he thought. The old woman’s plight, however, tugged at his heart.

The next morning, in the absence of the head priest,  Iyengar performed the puja with greater devotion than usual. Afterwards, when the temple was quiet, he stood before Perumal’s idol. In a voice filled with emotion, he said, “My Lord, I’m not asking this for myself. You know everything about this old woman, who has been praying here earnestly for two years. Her suffering is not unknown to you. With her belief that I have some special closeness to you, she has asked me to make this request on her behalf. Your mercy is boundless, and you’ve rushed to help before, at the slightest request of your devotees like Draupadi when she was disrobed or Gajendra in deep trouble from a crocodile. Won’t you turn your kind gaze toward this poor old woman too?”

There was no response from Perumal. Iyengar felt as if Perumal was laughing at him. Feeling deeply ashamed, he prostrated on the floor, asking for forgiveness. When he stood up, a flower fell from Perumal’s hand. He was filled with an overwhelming sense of joy at this omen. He thought to himself, “I should tell the old lady about this gesture. She will be thrilled.” But that evening, Kamala didn’t come to the temple.

That night, Iyengar had a strange dream. Suddenly the room was filled with the fragrance of sandalwood and the sound of bells. Perumal himself appeared before him with a mischievous smile. “What’s this, Iyengar? You’re funnily searching for ghee having the butter in your hands and yet expecting me to solve as I did for Gajendra? Isn’t this a small thing for you to remedy yourself?”

 Iyengar, prostrating before Perumal in the dream, cried in excitement, “My God, my small mind is unable to comprehend what you are hinting at.”

“Take your time and think carefully. Everything will work out fine,” Perumal smilingly said, even as He disappeared.

The next evening, Kamala came to the temple. “I didn’t see you yesterday. Is everything alright?” she asked  Iyengar.

“Yes, everything is fine. I put your request to Perumal yesterday, and a match was found immediately. I was waiting for you to tell you the details.”

“I knew it would happen! I was certain that Perumal would heed to you. What a blessing! Who is the groom, and what does he do?”

“He’s twenty-nine years old, well-educated, working in a foreign bank in Bengaluru, earning around four lakhs per month, and comes from a good family. Here’s his photo, with all the details on the back. Show it to your granddaughter. If she likes him, let me know. I’ll arrange for them to meet,”  Iyengar said.

“Once burnt, twice shy, it is said. The boy and his family must be good people. Money is not important; character is. Please check this point thoroughly,” Kamala stressed.

“Don’t worry,. First, see if your granddaughter likes him,”  Iyengar reassured her.

The next day, Kamala and her granddaughter Veda arrived at  Iyengar’s house. Kamala was surprised to see how well-kept and beautiful the house was, with granite floors, plush sofas, a large TV, and an air conditioner. It did not look like the tenement of a poor priest.

 Iyengar’s wife greeted them warmly and, sitting next to Veda, said, “She’s much more beautiful than I expected! I hope she likes the boy.”

Kamala asked, “Yes. Have you had a chance to inquire about the boy’s family?”

“Yes, they’re from this area only,”  Iyengar’s wife said.

“You are not telling whether they are good people and that you are fully assured on this point,” Kamala persisted.

"Alright, please tell me one thing first —what do you think of me?" Iyengar asked with an impish smile.

"You are a very virtuous man, always steeped in thoughts of God. You are a great devotee of Perumal and very helpful to everyone. What more can I say? But why are you asking me about this when I’m asking about the boy’s family?"

Iyengar burst into laughter, leaving both Kamala and Veda confused, as they looked at his wife for an explanation.

It was then Iyengar spoke, " Initially, I had no thought about this young man. When I prayed to Perumal about your request, a flower fell from His hand. I took it as a good omen. That night, in a dream, He appeared and said, 'You are asking for ghee having butter in your hand, and still expecting me to find a match for the young woman.”

 It was only after He disappeared, it struck me what He meant. If Perumal has willed it that way, then let it happen beautifully, I decided. That’s when I gave you the boy’s details and photo, but even then, I didn’t tell you who he was till I knew your mind."

Seeing Kamala still confused, Iyengar's wife added with a broad smile, "This groom, Krishnan, is none other than our son! We showed him Veda’s photo, and he was very pleased. He’s been asking when he can come over to meet her. Now, it is for you both to take it forward."

Both grandmother and Veda joined them in the happy laughter that ensued.

22 comments:

  1. Nice. A simple feel good story.

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perumal always present but we should have immense faith to feel .

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ambiance in the temple, the concerns of a middle class family and the emotions have been captured vividly.
    Janardhan N

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good story.ramakrishnan.a.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful feel good story. My belief is that Parthassrathi walks alongside you. His manifestations are intriguing. Loved the way you have portrayed the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Usual, another masterpiece athimber ,nicely captured emotions in simple words..keeps you glued till the end .👌👌👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice story emphasising the grace of God when one asks for something without any ulterior motive. But I was amused at Perumal addressing the priest as 'Iyengar.' :)

    Thangam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice description of the Maami. It matches the description of many maamis who visit the temple :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice story!
    Adiyen
    Dasan

    ReplyDelete
  10. KP sir, You have created a theme that offers insights into the human dilemma about belief in prayer - which is more effective- praying for others or for oneself ! I was able to empathize with your characters- to care about these characters and their feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. God has a unique way of uniting people. Just seek his guidance to lead us to the right path.
    Jagadeesan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inscrutable are His ways! At on stroke, He had blessed and answered both of His ardent Bhaktas. Beautiful analogy " asking for Ghee having butter in Hand" very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice Thatha what a wonderful short story

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved the phrase, "asking for ghee with butter in hand". A feel good story. The power of prayer

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marriages are made in heaven they say- this one in a temple ! A God’s abode in any case!! A simple story yet very captivating because of the way it is written! God’s ways are always difficult to comprehend but He knows best : and He leads you to the destination without our knowing it. As usual loved reading this. Thanks. Rama Sampath Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well narrated beautiful story! I am sure they lived happily ever after! And Kamala paatti was happy too...Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  17. The very name of the story summarises the central theme. The details have thereafter been very neatly adorned around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good one! I could visualize the scenes unfolding as I read along because of the vivid descriptions. Ending was not a surprise but loved the story.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Faith is the answer! It is the lady’s unshakable faith that she got the due credit she deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Faith guides us - bhagawan comes to us in the form of mortals with a message - divinity exists in all of us. Nice story :) Regards - Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  22. Almost all your stories leave me feeling great, Chittappa. The best ambiance is to read your stories sitting beside a smoothly fleeing stream. How wonderful it is - noise of the flowing water! The joy I experience after having read and thought about the story is very similar!

    ReplyDelete