Monday, August 5, 2024

Sundaram's self-respect {880 words}

 

(This is a fiction written in first person for effect)
The one question that bothers me always is why success in life is not guaranteed to genius and why happiness is not always a possession of good people. Life turns out to be cruel to a few even when they do not seemingly deserve such a fate. I was recently a witness to such an oddity of fate. Some of the memories of the young days are sharper than the recent happenings.

I clearly remember my classmate Sundaram for he was a class topper and always sat next to me. We were close friends. Lean and tall with a sharp nose, he frequently fell sick. He had a large birthmark on his right forearm. He came from a poor family and he used to wear the same brown colour shirt. I remember my putting an ink mark to see whether it was the same shirt he wore and his getting upset with me. He was a friendly chap and we would walk home together in the evenings after school hours. He confided in me his wish to be an engineer along with his doubts about his achieving it. He had two younger sisters. I lost touch with him when I left the school in my ninth class on my dad’s transfer to Delhi.

 It was more than three decades later when I was attending a marriage of my colleague’s son in Chennai that I came across my old friend in totally unexpected circumstances. I was seated in the dining hall along with other friends who were all well-placed in life. It was a marriage done in style and ostentation.

As the servers in white uniforms were serving the food and different delicacies, I saw the large birthmark on the extended arm of a tall lean man in his late forties who was placing a jangri (a sweet delicacy) on the plantain leaf. Recollecting that my friend Sundaram had a similar one, I looked up and could instantly recognize him. The same tall figure and the unmistakable sharp nose confirmed that I was not off the mark.

When I asked him whether he was, Sundaram, he nodded in agreement. I asked him “Don’t you recognize me as Rangan? We sat adjacent to each other in classes eight and nine".

 He hesitated for a moment and said that he had not met me before and tried to retreat hastily. I persisted by asking him, “Do make an effort to remember me and the ink mark I had made on your shirt.”

 For a split of second, his cloudy eyes cleared but when he saw many eyes on him, he left denying any knowledge of me or the incident.

 I was doubly sure that he was Sundaram and that he wished to remain unidentified. I could not thereafter enjoy my lunch and the conversations around me. I was left wondering how such misfortune could befall such a bright person whom I had hoped would rise to high positions.

 I rose from the table earlier than others to wash my hands. I rushed to the kitchen area looking for Sundaram. Not finding him there, I approached the head cook and asked him,” Where can I find Sundaram?”

“Sundaram came just now to me and pleaded of severe headache and wanted some rest. He assured me that he would be back in an hour. Do you know him?” replied the head cook

“We studied together in school and were close friends. He was intelligent, hard-working and a topper in school. He used to be soft by nature with a very warm disposition. I had high hopes of his reaching high positions in life.  How did he come to work here in such poor circumstances?” I asked

 The head cook, an elderly man, said,” Sundaram’s father died suddenly in his middle age leaving behind his large family of wife, one son, two unmarried daughters and an aged mother with no resources to fall back upon. The entire responsibility of looking after his mother, grandmother and sisters, their schooling and marriage fell upon the young shoulders of Sundaram. He had not completed even class eleven. As his father was working for me as a cook for several years, I took pity on the young boy and took him under my fold. I offered some financial help to the family initially. He worked hard and has since educated and married off his two sisters. But he chose to remain a bachelor in the dilapidated house  to look after his aged mother.”

 I could realize now why he wished to avoid me. He must have seen my shock and pain on seeing him in a server’s uniform and being a man of high self-respect, possibly wished to save me from further embarrassment.

 As I was financially well placed, I resolved to help him monetarily or by renovating his old house I left my card with my mobile number with the head cook and requested him, “Please ask Sundaram to contact me without fail within the next two days of my stay in Chennai. Tell him it is my fervent request.”

But being a man of high self-respect, he never made a call.

(The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs-Joan Didion}

20 comments:

  1. A powerful story. Sometimes when help comes one's way, perhaps it is God's guidance to us, we should accept it. Regards - Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice story, with more than a tinge of sadness...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leaves one guessing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen this happen many a times. Being a member of several WhatsApp groups [School, College, University, Different Professions...] I have noticed that the trajectory of life has been different and it does not sit well. People who have achieved success also need to be highly empathetic in offering to help, lest we may lose the friendship itself!!
    Janardhan

    ReplyDelete
  5. If one believe in Karma, this is possible. The same can be said for many things- people who do not deserve many Good things in life, are there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice story. Ramakrishnan. A.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting story. Reminded me of a famous quote by President John F. Kennedy. “There is always inequity in life,” he said. “Some men are killed in a war and some men are wounded, and some men never leave the country, and some men are stationed in the Antarctic and some are stationed in San Francisco. It’s very hard in military or in personal life to assure complete equality. Life is unfair.”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes. We cannot predict anything in our life. There is no guarantee for everything. A sad story indeed

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neither of them would have been happy if Sundaram had accepted the monetary help. Sundaram preserved his self-respect by distancing himself from you and your life.!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Self respect it is, without which man is of no consequence. Appreciate your will to help and Sundaram's will to ignore it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Narrating the story in the first person has surely added to the effect.

    Great is a person who values self esteem the most and holds head high even in the worst kind of adverse situations in life. Lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up; but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another. —Psalm 75:6 " Perhaps this may be the answer, who are we to judge! Can feel sorry for Sundaram !

    ReplyDelete
  13. One’s soul does not discriminate between success and lack thereof, pain and lack thereof, joy and lack thereof. They are constructions of our ego which ends with our bodily life. Living with such distinction can help navigate worldly feelings for what they are. Ephemeral. (JJ)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn’t it a unique catch-22 situation of Indian culture that the only son in a joint family cannot pursue his own dreams as he has to take care of aged parents, settle and pave way for his younger siblings By that time, the zest for life is almost dead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes with passing times, facing many incidents in life, overcoming tragedies, people tend to forget the sweet memories of childhood. We lose touch with close friends as we move on. A very powerful story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rama Sampath Kumar: Destiny and Karma, what else can you call this ? A true story from my side- the young cook working for my grandparents turned out to be the leading cook in Chennai in all elite weddings. : this is a twist in fate that makes us all happy..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good one and went on expected lines.

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would not have expected any other ending. Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sundaram deserves credit for his help in taking care of siblings after parents inability. His refusal to accept friend's offer with the sole objective to see him in better work environment,not gratis but out of childhood admiration for him. This does not contradict friendship dharma in any way. Sundaram has to be counselled to accept the offer overcome his cofusion with his self respect/esteem.
    Jagadeesan

    ReplyDelete