Thursday, August 29, 2024

The Broken Promise (949 words)

 

It was in class VII, I remember, that Anand was my mate sitting next to me. I vaguely remember his puny structure, hazel green eyes (cat’s eyes as I used to call them), and his warm disposition. We were together most of the school hours enjoying each other's company. He was I think staying with his grandfather.

One Friday when the classes broke for a recess of 15 minutes, he told me in a conspiratorial tone to follow him quietly. He moved fast to the main gate of the school. Luckily the watchman was missing. He took out his Sanskrit book hidden inside the shirt and gave it to the peanut vendor who sat outside the gate.

 “Be quick, keep the book with you and give us a large quantity of peanuts,” said Anand.

The poor fellow gave a bewildered look at him and said “No, I will not accept it. It is meant for reading.”

” I have another one This is an extra book bought by mistake. Take it and quickly give the peanut in two packets. The bell is ringing,” urged Anand

 Without further resistance, the vendor gave him two cone-shaped packets full of peanuts more than what we expected. Generous as always Anand gave me one packet that we stuffed in our knickers pockets.

“Do not utter one word about this transaction to anyone under any circumstances and promise me now,” he warned as he extended his palm for me to complete the promise.

It was next Tuesday when our Sanskrit master entered the class. A frail man with hawkish eyes he relied on his ferrule and the dictum “Spare the rod and spoil the child”. No sooner than he entered, he asked us to copy four Subhashitani slokas from the Sanskrit book saying that he would explain the meaning after we finished.

I placed the book in the centre of the bench to enable Anand to copy the slokas without craning his neck much. Very soon the teacher was by our side thundering, “Where is your book?”

 Anand meekly replied “I lost it. I brought the book last Friday to the school but could not find the book when I reached home”

The teacher looked suspiciously at me and snatched my book that had lost its front cover with all its pages dog-eared with smudges of ink. He threw the book at my face telling “Is this the way to keep the book, you fool?” he scolded

Staring at Anand. he said, “I do not have a good opinion of you. I do not believe you. I am not going to let this rest without further probing. Where is your house? If it is close by, go and fetch some elder immediately.”

In less than fifteen minutes, Anand who was weeping came with a young boy aged six years old. The class burst into laughter. As the teacher’s face reddened his grandfather entered the class. The old man started speaking loudly to the teacher, “My grandson says he lost the book last Friday in school. He never utters a lie. Someone in the class must have taken the book. I wish you had checked that before getting upset with the innocent boy.”

 The teacher said “I have already done that. The adjacent boy Partha is very good and has his torn book. I do not think it has been stolen.”

The grandfather in a taunting tone said “Does the book have wings to fly? I do not like the shifty eyes of that boy” he said as he came near me and looking at me added,” I accuse you of having stolen Anand’s book. Give it back. Otherwise, I will take it up with the headmaster and have you dismissed from the school.”

 Anand just kept quiet without saying anything in support of me.

The teacher said “Enough of this unfair accusation, Sir, please stand aside. I will talk to him”

He said softly,” Partha if you know something about the book, tell me to save your honour. I trust you fully and would not let the false accusation go unchallenged.”

 I started crying, feeling embarrassed with all the boys and girls looking at me, half in sympathy and half in doubt. I quickly thought about the promise made by me and Anand’s silence when his grandfather openly accused me and felt it was better to come clean.

 I replied to him,” Sir, he sold the book to the peanut vendor at the gate.”

As soon as the old man heard this, he stormed out of the classroom, his steps heavy in anger, to the gate. To his frustration, he found the book with half the pages missing having been used to make paper cones.

 The vendor said,” Sir, I refused initially to accept the book and took it in exchange for peanuts only when the boy said it was a spare book. Please check with another boy who accompanied him. Forgive me, I am a poor man”

The old man came to the class and hugged me profusely expressing his apologies to the teacher for wrongly suspecting me. He snatched the ferrule from the master’s hand and started hitting Anand like a madman till the teacher stopped him.

 He dragged him out of the class loudly rebuking, “This fellow is a disgrace to my family and I will pack him off to his parents”

As he was being dragged, Anand turned towards me at the door and I could see in his eyes a deep hatred for me. We never met thereafter.

I realised only in my later years that no promises were to be made or assurances given to cover up misdeeds.

 

21 comments:

  1. A departure from your usual style sir. There was a movie called Subramaniapuram in Tamil roughly 10 years ago. It had a line "Kuthinavan nanbana irundhalum, kaati kuduka koodadhu." For some reason the line has stayed in my mind for all these years. Regards - Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ethical and moral values are learnt from home and from school.

    Is it a true story from your childhood days ?

    Nice

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nice story with moral values! The concluding statement so apt today. As kids we did get carried away by the many things in school, but when you sit back and think about it today, we either feel foolish, remorseful, laugh or wish we had been good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While Anand's actions were wrong, that was also quite a strong reaction from the grandfather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice story. The boy's predicament is very relatable. Reads like a true story from your life. Is it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anand represented Adharma as his grandfather echoed. You being a witness to adharmic act of exchanging peanuts for sanskrit text book, didnot behave like Karna or BHISHMA in Mahabharath and stood by the facts by breaking the promise extracted earlier under bribe of some peanuts. Anand is like Duryodhana snd grandfather like Drithrashtra condoning the behaviour of grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My comments comparing Mahabharath characters.
    Jagadeesan

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice simple story but with a strong moral lesson. Atin Biswas

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Satyam Vada Dharmam Chara) " Speak the truth and Walk the path of righteousness" is more than just a shloka; it’s a deep philosophical statement. By incorporating these principles into our daily lives, we pay homage to the ageless wisdom of our culture and have a positive impact on a society that upholds morality, ethics, and compassion. Perhaps Classroom was the best platform for a child to imbibe the same. Story with a great moral lesson !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Felt like reading a true story. Didn't like the boy exchanging his book for peanuts. Anyway, the true culprit was punished. Feel sorry for the grandfather....why did he do it? ...Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good moral lesson. Ramakrishnan.a

    ReplyDelete
  12. A true blue 'real-life' story that every male, who has ever been to a school, can relate to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a real life story ! Out of fear the friend was pressurised into revealing the truth. Without the issue, the truth would have remained hidden. Fear often prompts people to confess things they wouldn't otherwise reveal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good one. Always the dilemma about how long to hold a secret!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How many such things happen in our school days!?

    Thank you for giving fodder to my blogs on Hemantha Kalam!

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happens a lot with kids for whom peer pressure is a lot stronger than moral pressure. We only realize that as we get older. (JJ)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting childhood story put out very nicely. PKR

    ReplyDelete