Tuesday, August 27, 2024

The interview (908 words)

 


The large door swung open, held by a stern-faced security guard, as I stepped into the imposing building. My appointment was with the Managing Director for the position of staff officer to the CEO. Though it was a middle-rung role, insiders had assured me it carried immense clout and influence. My credentials were impeccable: a diploma from a prestigious business school and experience in leading companies in the industry. I was confident this interview would be a mere formality.

I was led into a spacious room where five others were already waiting. I sized them up quickly. One man was short and stout, his ill-fitting suit straining at the buttons. Another, with two days' worth of stubble and dishevelled hair, looked like he hadn’t slept in days. A third, tall and lanky with a vacant expression, resembled a scarecrow that could be blown over by a gust of wind. The fourth, biting his nails nervously and twitching his lips, was a ball of anxiety. The last one seemed like he might be real competition—smart-looking but dressed horribly, in a bright yellow shirt and an askew tie. His pants were too short, barely reaching his ankles.

I, on the other hand, stood out. Tall, with curly hair, a square jaw, and sharp features. A blend of Hrithik, Salman, and Ranbir, all rolled into one. I was dressed in a smartly tailored suit. I was used to turning heads and pushing my way to the top, especially in the presence of female colleagues.

Across the room sat a young woman in her mid-twenties, with two others standing beside her. The seated woman was strikingly beautiful but exuded an air of arrogance as she glanced around. She seemed to be checking off names on a list, probably an HR clerk. I was the last one she called.

“Your name?” she asked without looking up.

“Sandip. Sandip Saxena,” I replied confidently.

“Where is your profile? Your CV?” she asked, looking at me for the first time.

“I sent it with my application. I didn’t bring a copy,” I said nonchalantly.

“Shouldn’t you carry one to an interview? If the interviewer asks about your profile, what will you refer to?” she asked with a hint of irritation.

“I didn’t think it necessary,” I replied, sensing some stifled chuckles from the other candidates.

“You seem to have a casual approach to this interview and are not adequately prepared,” she said sharply.

My temper flared, especially when I caught the smirks on the other candidates' faces. Who did she think she was, a lowly HR clerk, questioning me? I forced a smile. “I trust you won’t send me away for that. If there are questions about my profile, I can handle them. Don't be worried.”

“Far from it. Why should I be concerned when it’s your gaffe?” she retorted, her eyes narrowing.

“Mind your words, Miss. As a receptionist, I expect more civility in dealing with people,” I shot back, returning to my seat, fuming. The girls beside her stared at me as she walked away with a smirk.

About thirty minutes later, a different woman entered the room, announcing that the MD was unavailable. Instead, the CEO would meet with each candidate. One by one, the others were called, each leaving through a separate exit. My anticipation grew. I cursed myself for not bringing my CV and for losing my temper with the HR clerk.

I was the last to be called. By now, my confidence had waned, replaced by anxiety. As I entered the office, my heart nearly stopped. Sitting at the CEO’s desk was the same young woman who had been screening us earlier. I felt a cold sweat break out. I quickly wiped my face with a handkerchief.

“Mr. Sandip, please take a seat,” she said with a smile, gesturing for me to sit. A glass of water was placed before me, and she waited patiently as I took a sip, trying to steady my nerves.

“Shall we start?” she asked.

“Yes, of course,” I replied, my voice shaky.

“In your resume, on the second page, you mentioned your role responsibilities. In the second line, you said…” she trailed off with a mischievous smile.

I froze. “What did I say?”

“You should know better,” she said, the smile never leaving her face.

I swallowed hard. “I apologize, Madam. As I mentioned earlier, I forgot to bring a copy of my resume.”

She chuckled. “It doesn’t matter.”

She then proceeded with the interview, asking pointed questions about my work experience. I answered each one as confidently as I could, but her eyes never left mine, assessing me with every response.

Finally, she asked, “How soon can you join? I need someone who is alert and not forgetful. I assume there’s nothing uncivil about my expectations?”

I managed a weak smile. “I can join in a fortnight.”

“Good,” she said, extending her hand. “I look forward to a happy and fruitful association with you.”

I shook her hand, still dazed. “I apologize for my earlier behaviour. I was indiscreet.”

She laughed softly. “No need. Your reaction was what clinched the position for you. I dislike timid men. Welcome aboard.”

As she walked me to the foyer, I realized how gravely I had misjudged her. The entire interview process had been a test, not just of my qualifications, but of my temperament. I had passed, but not in the way I had anticipated.

(Normally I would have brought Cupid with his arrow at the end of the story but desisted this time to infuse some element of unpredictability!!)

 

23 comments:

  1. Good. Let good things happen for Sandip - Regards - Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandip must have come alive to believe valour is better part of indiscretion after the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assuming a young lady must be an apprentice / junior is unfortunately still common in many workplaces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My comments relating to valour over indiscretion
    Jagadeesan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good. Thanks. Ramakrishnan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No need to explain elaborately:) We knew/guessed from the time he snapped at the clerk...Angry young man:) Interesting narration though, Kp ...Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  7. Probably he was selected for his confidence and curt reply. And I would like to say she fell for his handsome personality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very glad you left out Cupid and his arrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A simple story with positivity. Nice

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  10. I surprised of the gender bias thd company had. No women candidates at all?😃

    Thank you for sharing. Made a good reading.

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete
  11. The story very smartly and deceptively led the reader to believe at the beginning that for the smart, confident and dandy young man, the interview was going to be a real cakewalk!

    However, by the time the reader reaches the end of the story, realisation dawns that it was rather the lady at the reception desk, the would be boss, who emerged far superior in the art of handling people!

    Apart from forgetting to carry a copy of his CV for the interview, the young man did not do his homework on the organisation and the very job role he had applied for!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. This should be the right way to conduct interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All is well that ends well. The gender bias exists and that hurts, we need to look beyond. Sandip should consider himself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very interesting story. In my work, I have interviewed and hired many people. But I will not hire this guy, Sandip. Even if the lady was really an HR Clerk, I do not want someone who has bad temper working in my organization.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sandip caught a lucky break! Many interviewers have a massive ego!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very lucky guy, I dont think I would have taken him aboard, if I were the CEO.

    ReplyDelete
  17. An interesting story leaving open a romantic end! Atin Biswas

    ReplyDelete
  18. well, the World belongs to the assertive and fearless. as usual the story has its twist

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rama Sampath Kumar : Don’t judge a book by its cover they say. The HR lady in this aspect may be correct but I have my doubts.. she has seen the true nature of the person and will his temperament go well with the staff. We are not in her shoes and maybe she wants a person with this quality for her staff to be under strict control. Nice leaving much to the imagination of the audience. But the guy coming for an interview is certainly haughty and looks like he will take a mile if given an inch.

    ReplyDelete