Saturday, August 31, 2024

The Oldman's Grouse (758 words)

 Meenakshi, I know you're coming to visit me soon. But before you do, I need to tell you something important. Despite what others might say, I am not sick. I’m in perfect health, even if I am getting on in years. Yes, I sometimes forget small details, but that’s normal, right? At my age, a bit of forgetfulness isn’t unusual. They might try to tell you I’m deranged, that I’ve lost my mind. But unless I explain everything, you might be inclined to believe them. So, please, hear me out.

It’s been nearly five years since they confined me to my room. Can you believe that? Five long years. I’m not allowed to leave the house unless Selvaraj, the driver, has time to take me out. And even then, he treats me like a prisoner on parole. All I want is to sit in the park and watch the children play on the swings and slides. But Selvaraj won’t let me get close. He holds my hand so tightly, as if I might run away. The kids, they make faces at me, and I think they want to play, too. But Selvaraj scares them off, saying God knows what to make them stay away. And I hate him for it. I really do.

Kausalya, our daughter-in-law, is the real mastermind behind all this. She has no love for me, Meenakshi, and I know she’s poisoned Mahesh’s mind against me. She makes up stories about me, and he believes every word. Remember the day I cut my finger trying to close the window? There was blood, and I couldn’t find any cotton or bandages. No one answered when I called for help—they say I cry wolf too often. So, I tore a piece from one of Mahesh’s shirts to wrap my finger. How was I supposed to know it was new? I have dozens of shirts, all the same colour. Kausalya made such a fuss over it, and Mahesh scolded me right in front of her. That humiliation, I can’t forget.

But there’s one thing I can never forgive her for. She took away the lock from the bathroom door. Do you know why? Because I sometimes doze off there. It’s not my fault! I don’t sleep at night—I’ve seen too many old people die in their sleep, and I won’t let that happen to me. That’s my secret, Meenakshi. That’s how I’ve managed to live this long. But Kausalya, she can’t stand it. She thinks I’m a danger to myself. She has no idea that I stay awake to keep death at bay.

There’s something else, too. This strange man keeps peeping through my bedroom window at night. When I look, he disappears. But I’ve seen him—dark figure, glistening white teeth, bushy moustache, and that ridiculous county cap, probably hiding his bald head. It’s not his appearance that bothers me, though. It’s the way he sneaks around. I caught him one night and threw ink at him. He screamed, and they all came running, but did anyone listen to me? No! They said he was the night security guard, keeping watch over me. As if I’m some dangerous criminal. They all looked at me as if I were the mad one.

I overheard them talking on the phone. I think they’re planning to send me away, to one of those places for ‘people like me.’ They took me there once before, and I was stuck there for so long. Please, Meenakshi, come soon. Mahesh keeps telling me you’re gone and that your picture on my wall is just a memory. But I know better. You come to see me, and we talk.  Kausalya thinks I’m just muttering to myself in my sleep. Let her think what she wants. Who cares? Come tonight, Meenakshi, and take me away with you. Take me somewhere far from here, before they send me to that horrible place.

The next morning, Mahesh entered his father’s room, Kausalya trailing behind. They found the old man seemingly fast asleep, clutching a photograph in his hands. Mahesh gently removed the blanket and saw his father holding the picture of his late mother, Meenakshi, close to his chest. He turned to the empty wall where the picture usually hung, a sudden chill running down his spine.

“Appa, wake up,” Mahesh called softly, nudging his father’s shoulder. “We have an appointment with the doctor today.”

But there was no response.

The old man had finally found peace. Meenakshi had kept her promise and taken him away.

 

23 comments:

  1. A very good one.

    Blessed are those who have people to care for and understand them in their aging times.

    Fine representation of many who suffer this silently.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Best wishes and warm regards
    Hemantha Kumar Pamarthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have captured the pain of loneliness and the challenges of elderly people Dementia and Alzheimer's add more intense problems. I finished reading the story with a heavy heart.

    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can we say? Better to keep faith in the benovalence of the Good Lord and live in peace.
    Janardhan N

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this story even though it’s a little morbid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very powerful. We don't know if it was a case of Alzheimer's? The end was predictable after the first para, sometimes over protective children, unknowingly stifle the elderly. Regards - Mahesh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chillingly poignant and really plays it's societal role in creating awareness on mental health

    ReplyDelete
  7. May be Alzheimer's. But since I have read your side, I want to hear Kausalya's side of the story. Meantime, may you rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful story. So poignant

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never expected that Meenakshi was his wife. Yes, life is tough one spouse had left and the other had to live alone. Whether it is the man or woman, it is tough. Tensed up now....Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Outstanding story-telling. What we each have is our own reality. There is no objective reality, when it comes to emotions. When near and dear question its validity, life becomes painful and lonely because we implicitly believe in objective reality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A moving story. The loneliness & treatment meted out to seniors is well depicted and realistic. I thought Meenakshi was the daughter. In the present situation, life would be difficult for the family the aggrieved and daughter in law included.Glad he got his salvation

    ReplyDelete
  12. A tale of the ultimate salvation of a distressed soul told very poignantly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shanthi KrishnakumarAugust 31, 2024 at 11:06 PM

    Super story

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally Meenakshi had come ........

    ReplyDelete
  15. Even in the company of other family members , loneliness can deeply affect the elderly when they long for the love they miss !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very touching story. There are many people living lonely after the death of their spouse. It is really difficult for men rather than women. The pain could be felt the way story is told. PKR

    ReplyDelete
  17. Deepak Raghavan
    A poignant story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The story tells what happens to a person after the death of the spouse. The person becomes lonely and depressed , particularly after certain age you are comfortable only with your
    Spouse.You described about little forgetfulness which people think as Alzheimer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed the story. This is what is presently going on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A story written with deep personal nuances. It reminds us of all the loved ones we crave for when they are not around.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautifully written! It really touched me, bought tears at the end! (Rashmi)

    ReplyDelete
  22. A heart warming story.

    ReplyDelete