Monday, July 1, 2024

Behind the facade of ugliness (395 words)

I was in the supermarket with my seven-year-old daughter, having just bought groceries and treats from the bakery. The evening breeze was gentle, and my daughter wished to sit by the fountain outside the store and watch the falling water. I moved towards a bench where a young boy was already sitting. As we got closer, I noticed his dirty, torn knickers and oversized T-shirt. His unkempt hair looked like it hadn’t been washed for days, and his bare legs were covered in grime.

As my daughter rushed to the bench, I called her back. “Let’s sit on the other bench,” I said.

“Why, Mom? I like this one. There’s a boy there,” she asked innocently.

“It’s not clean here. Let’s go to the other bench,” I replied, avoiding a detailed explanation.

She followed reluctantly, frequently glancing back at the boy. He smiled at her, his eyes sparkling with joy.

“What’s wrong with sitting next to him? Is it because he’s poor?” she asked, her tone tinged with sadness and anger.

“He’s dirty. I don’t want you near him,” I said.

She sat grumpily beside me; her eyes still drawn to the boy. Suddenly, he stood up and pulled out a friendship band from his pocket, smiling invitingly. My daughter looked at me, eyes pleading.

It was then in a blinding flash of realization, I became aware of how peevish I had been failing to see the beauty in his spirit past that grubby outfit. I could no longer see the filth in his hair or dress. “Why not? Go to him and get the wristband,” I told my daughter.

She jumped in joy and ran to him. The boy tied the band carefully without touching her hand with both watching me. I called them both over and handed my daughter a packet of chocolates to share. I told my daughter, “Give him your hand for a warm shake and run around the fountain”.

As they ran with their hands held together, I could see the happiness writ large on their faces. The boy no longer seemed ugly and his smile looked angelic to me as his warmth and joy were evident.

Reflecting on my childhood, I realized how superficial my initial judgment had been. True beauty lies within and we must look deeper to find it. Life’s circumstances vary, but kindness and warmth transcend appearances.

 

23 comments:

  1. Sweet story but was not able to comment there

    ReplyDelete
  2. Profound message. Thanks 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful; reminded of the writings of Bruce Hardy:
    There was a shadow.
    It was a thinking shadow,
    a shadow you could feel but not see,

    It was a worry.

    But like a bird’s shadow,
    the worry shadow darted,
    flickered, and was gone.
    Janardhan N

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Hindi they say "jo hota hai, vo dikhta nahin; jo dikhta hai vo hota nahin". (What exists, is not seen; what is seen, does not exist") and all of us pass through this illusion. The real problem is 'I', 'Me' and 'Mine' that generates/comes out of 'Ahankar'. When we look from the Mind's eye, all are God's creation. Look within and 'Karuna' (compassion) are the keys to see God in everything and everywhere. Regards Sir

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story! Much needed value for the current society.

    Take care
    Chitra

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of us make the same mistake

    ReplyDelete
  7. One more outcome of the story is that a child's heart is full of pure and unconditional love. As we grow, we develop hatred (Dvesh) which can be shed with the past knowledge and experiences in life. Once we do this we can see eternal joy all around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the story...I can imagine how happy the two children were feeling ...True friendship Day....beautiful story....Sandhya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice story. Just shows that kindness and warmth are far more important than superficial differences, is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many tiny seemingly inconsequential things of our daily life give us happiness to us as well to others. And, in their absence, many daily frustrations bombarded by without being aware. An act of kindness or compassion rebounds back to the girl's life too. Beautiful story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes it takes courage to go beyond our first reaction to question our biases and be more human. Touching story,.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice. Not a very common sight these days.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Meant only for feeling and only in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful story. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is really nice that the mother permitted her daughter to become friends with the boy. Mostly we are hypocrites, have different scale for different people. Realisation dawns upon us very late. Better late than never.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very sweet story with a great message of looking into the inner beauty of a person. Atin Biswas

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely story. Children are so innocent and pure. It's we the adults who measure differently. It's nice if the mother to think geyind those scales.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful story,! Children are like God. Their unconditional love, innocence , their warmth their laughter beyond words.
    As we grow we spoil ourselves learning anger, hatred selfishall negative.
    Your story conveys the the value of being good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. When you judge another,
    you don’t define them;
    you define yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for nicely weaving in words the oft-forgotten old truth that what’s within matters most. We all need reminding. (JJ)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kindness knows no boundaries or bias and comes naturally. Regards - Mahesh

    ReplyDelete