Thursday, July 4, 2024

The spooky story (667 words)

"Tharpa, I’ve been putting off telling you this, but the weekly isn’t doing well. With the advent of the internet, our circulation has plummeted,” the editor of 'Your Weekly' paused. I stayed quiet, worried about where this was going.

“If the circulation doesn’t pick up, we might have to shut down. Nothing is happening in this town, and readers are bored. We need to shake things up. I’m adding a spooky section. Find real, terrifying stories. Your first one is due in three days for the Sunday edition. If we don’t do something dramatic, we’ll all be looking for new jobs,” he concluded, returning to his manuscript. I wasn’t overly worried—young and single as I was—but I wanted to rise to the occasion.

I drove to a nearly abandoned village, recalling an old, dilapidated mansion on its outskirts. It seemed perfect for a spine-chilling story. As I got out of the car, an old farmer passing by said, “Why are you going there? It’s haunted. Stay away if you know what’s good for you.”

“Thanks, but I’m just taking some pictures for my magazine,” I replied, walking through the broken gate. The pathway was littered with dry leaves and broken twigs. Some windows hung loosely from their frames. I knocked on the door, half-expecting no response. To my surprise, it opened, revealing a small man with deep, sunken eyes.

“Is the master here?” I asked.

“Sure. Come in and be seated. Does he know you?” he asked in a squeaky voice.

“I doubt it. Just tell him Tharpa from Your Weekly for an interview,” I replied as he led me into a large, musty hall filled with cobwebs and scattered leaves. “We have no servants, and times are hard,” he said. “Please wait. He’ll be down soon.”

I noticed a huge portrait of a man with a sword and spear, his gaze seemingly fixed on me. Suddenly, the portrait’s lips parted, and its mouth opened. Fear gripped me, and I called out, “Hey, I can’t wait any longer. Let me out!”

The figure in the portrait descended, blocking the exit, looking menacing with one hand on his sword. Sweat drenched my clothes as I shouted, “Hey, come quick!” My voice barely worked. The servant’s voice echoed, saying the master had already come to meet me.

Desperate, I looked for an escape. The figure advanced, and I heard a squeaky crackle. Turning, I saw the servant as a skeleton, arms dangling and laughing loudly. The figure closed in, and I fainted.

The Sunday edition of 'Your Weekly' carried the headline and detailed report:

"Reporter Found Dead in Mysterious Circumstances"

We regret to announce the unexpected death of our reporter Tharpa in a supposedly haunted mansion. He went there to gather material for our new spooky stories' column. A villager, who saw him enter, waited for him to come out. When he didn’t, he gathered others and found Tharpa lying on the floor of the hall. No other person was present. The local doctor declared it a cardiac arrest, though villagers blame ghosts.

Tharpa was one of our best and fearless…


On Monday morning, the editor prepared to visit the coroner's office for the inquest. A gentle knock preceded Tharpa’s entry. A chill ran down the editor's spine, and he nearly fainted.

The figure spoke in a squeaky voice, "Do not be scared. I am not your reporter but the servant of the Master of the mansion in the reporter's frame. When the reporter passed away, I couldn’t resist entering his lifeless body from my skeleton after everyone left the mansion. I don’t know where to go or what to do."

Summoning courage, the editor asked, "What proof do you have that you’re not Tharpa but a ghost masquerading as him?"

"None, except his phone with the pictures he was taking. You can see my skeleton there," said the squeaky voice.

When the editor clicked open the phone, he fainted, leaving the figure in Tharpa's frame bewildered.

 

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice thrilling story. Reminded of Adi Sankarar's saying about an aatman or soul can carry experience from one body to another (koodu vittu koodu paithal)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice .Thanks.ramakrishnan.a.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a good attempt for a new genre!
    -P.CHINNARAJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spooky indeed

    ReplyDelete
  6. A different style... Loved the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unexpected twist in your style of Stories hitherto. Really a beautiful narrative. Enjoyed to the brim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was thinking midway that the reporter is seeing a dream and will wake up in the end....

    ReplyDelete
  9. New genre, and a twist classic of your style! Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm.. Not quite what I expected.. good read though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Possibly a story of a new genre altogether from the storyteller. That way, a pretty good beginning with interesting manifestations of spookiness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really good one! Keeps us guessing in the end. Thanks for posting these regularly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your imaginary skill is boundless. It twists, twists and twists.Regards P K Ramachandran

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really good one. Loved the twist. As said above, your imagination is boundless and creative.

    ReplyDelete
  15. After reading the story,started believing that ghosts do exist.
    Jagadeesan

    ReplyDelete
  16. A thrilling end with numerous chilling twists throughout the story.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very interesting story with a chilling twist at the end. Atin Biswas

    ReplyDelete
  18. It reminded me of my childhood days when I watched some suspense ridden horror movies like 'Wo Kaun Thi' 'Kohra' etc. Mind used to be engaged in thinking about WHAT IS NEXT. I read the story with the same SPIRIT.
    I feel it is our imagination that drives our mind to knit such stories out of evident scenes or facts. While the existence of such HAUNTED PLACES cannot be denied, could be that it is the result of FEAR that pervades our mind.
    A nice story indeed Sir, for a change in the context. Regards

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really spooky..the reader is in doubt about the narrator of the story..is it Tharpa as it appears from the fourth line or someone else!

    ReplyDelete